Mathematical Challenge !

the false idol of Edison

Edison and Tesla complemented each other and both contributed to the creation of the modern electrical supply system.

Edison had the concept of lighting buildings with electricity and developed a way to achieve it. Tesla introduced alternatiing current and vastly improved the method used to achive Edison's concept.

Would Tesla have had the concept of lighting buildings with electricity if Edison had not started the process. ?

Sponsored Links
You seem to be talking about granular convection. This is basically where smaller particles, when shaken or mixed, become almost fluid in motion, allowing them to sink to the bottom, whilst the larger particles settle on the top. The combined density of those smaller particles is what holds the larger particles on top.

That's along the lines of what Mr 'Loopy' Lewis taught us in Physics, anyway!

Funny that, only a couple of days ago I was reading about the Avalanche backpack that inflates and gives the wearer a better chance of 'rising' above the snow.
Got me thinking. Hot air expands, so it doesn't really rise its more that cold air is small and your granular motion comes into play, if that's the case why aren't we taught that in school.
More importantly if some idiot spills coffee in the sugar bowl, gently shake it till you can scoop all the coffee off the top.

This is basically where smaller particles, when shaken or mixed, become almost fluid in motion, allowing them to sink to the bottom, whilst the larger particles settle on the top.
Doesn't work that way in earthquakes, the "solid" ground when vibrated by the quake becomes "liquid" and heavy objects once supported by the ground sink into the liquified ground. Dry liquifaction and not wet liquifaction which involves water soaked particles.

A real mathematical challenge would be to pay £5.00 for something that is being sold for £10.00, if anyone has a formula, pls let me know.

Sponsored Links
A real mathematical challenge would be to pay £5.00 for something that is being sold for £10.00, if anyone has a formula, pls let me know.

DFS have a SALE on at the mo' & it's 50% off (selected lines only) everything instore. STA, T&C's apply etc

A real mathematical challenge would be to pay £5.00 for something that is being sold for £10.00, if anyone has a formula, pls let me know

It's called haggling, sales, or applied discounts - or over inflation in the first place. The real mathematical formula, is called "what the market will bear", and that raises the price to the highest possible point.

Got me thinking. Hot air expands, so it doesn't really rise its more that cold air is small and your granular motion comes into play

Not quite. The cold airs there in the first place, and so the hot air expands and rises, then cools down and sinks back again. Granular motion is about things rolling over each other, whereas hot air expands vertically.

More importantly if some idiot spills coffee in the sugar bowl, gently shake it till you can scoop all the coffee off the top

Might work; run the experiment, and then report back. But if the coffees hot enough, it may well just melt the sugar into a lump.

It's called haggling, sales, or applied discounts - or over inflation in the first place. The real mathematical formula, is called "what the market will bear", and that raises the price to the highest possible point.

Bogoff

Sponsored Links
Back