matt white ceiling emulsion going on badly!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm painting a freshly plastered ceiling using Leyland matt white emulsion. I did a 80/20 paint/water mix fist to seal it. Paint feels very thick to me – load roller, do 4 or 5 swipes and by the time you come back to going over the first swipe, the edge marks are hard to roll out, have to apply serious pressure and sometimes they don't come out. I sanded these out areas but now those parts are smooth while the rest has a slight speckled effect so no matter how many coats I apply it actually looks like it's wet in places when hard light shines in from the garden. Even cutting in feels like the brush is sticking a bit, just not gliding nicely. Driving me nuts, looks awful! Is it just cheap paint (£12 for 5L) or something else? I guess only solution is now to sand the whole ceiling? It's 40sq m!!

See attached pic.

Thanks for any advice

Attachments

• IMG_8567.JPG
    IMG_8567.JPG
    191.8 KB · Views: 174
Sponsored Links
I've gone through about 70 litres of Leyland contract paint in matte white over the last 3-4 months, although I use a ratio of 50/50 for my mist coats. We've had every room in our house re-plastered, so I'm totally sick of it

I find that fresh plaster is so thirsty I usually apply 2 mist coats, just so that the final coat goes on a bit easier. I also experience those edge marks stick around if left for too long, and I also suffer with the paint/water mix splattering down the walls when I paint the ceiling.

I find that the final coat hide all ills though - sometimes it needs a second coat, or touching up at the least, but the finish is pretty consistent.

The trick is not to look to hard at it once you're done!

No, honestly, I'm not being fussy, the finish is apauling. I've done 2 top coats now ans all I'm doing is thickening both the smooth and rougher parts so it's always looking the same. It's like a nap, in each direction the areas are light and dark but change looking from the other way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back