Max Length of tails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi.
i was just wondering whats the maximum length of tails you can have from the cut out to the cu?

and does anyone know the reg number from the 17th?

i have heard its 1.5 max?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You mean from the meter to CU?

It's up to your DNO but 3m rings a bell.

i got told 2m by my nic assessor many moons ago, any longer and a double pole switch had to be installed, i dont beleive there is a particular reg though.

Sponsored Links
i got told 2m by my nic assessor many moons ago, any longer and a double pole switch had to be installed, i dont beleive there is a particular reg though.

I've heard various figures thrown about, but the most common seems to be three metres. If you want to go any further than that, I personally wouldn't be happy with just a DP switch. There needs to be a switchfuse at the origin of the supply - it is not up to the DNO to protect your wiring. Standard length meter tails are a special case in this respect.

There was someone on here a while ao that got special dispensation to have 5M tails I seem to recall

Martin

"When the meter tails are protected against fault current by the distributors cut-out the method of installation, maximum length and minimum cross sectional area must comply with the requirements of the DNO" OSG

3meters gets a mention 433.2.2 and 434.2.1 (17th edition)

Studyin ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back