Max span of flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there,

I am thinking of having a new extention built. I want to keep the inside final plaster board flat with no joists showing. The width is 7m. I want to extend out as far as possible (max 7m) I have looked around the net and found that C16 75mm x 225mm timber will span about 5m.

Can anyone tell me if there is timber capable of spaning further than this or is there any other methord? Price will be a factor as the timber methord is the most cost effective.

Kind regards

Sponsored Links
You'll need an engineered timber joist, google parallam. Can be done in steel as well, but I'm not sure which will be cheaper. A structural engineer will be able to advise on best option.

the timbers your talking about will span up to about 6 m at 400 centers according to trada
but I joists will go further look on the finnforest web site for finn joists they span over 7m don't know about cost though

Sponsored Links
Have a look at TJI joist, there're light and very strong and span a long way too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back