Max Zs entry on EIC for an RCD circuit

Where "normal" Zs limits can be adhered to (ie with TN systems), I believe that figure should be entered on the cert.

Call me wrong if you like, but I don't feel entering "maximum allowed" figures which are lower is a problem.

Higher, yes, of course, but lower, no.

Exactly the reason why I'll carry on taking figures from table 41.3

Sponsored Links
Many of the figures given in tabulated form are not exactly the same as the calculated value. Consideration will have been given by the authors (I assume) to this figure and deemed acceptable given that it is 0.01V above the calculated value.

As the content and values of BS7671 are not negotiable, I would therefore consider it non compliant to enter any other figure than that in the current or ammended version.

Please note that I edited my post for clarity.

That may be, eq, but, if it came to the crunch, would it be viewed as negligent to enter a lower figure?

As the content and values of BS7671 are not negotiable, I would therefore consider it non compliant to enter any other figure than that in the current or ammended version.

It's not a statutory document so doubt there would be a come back on us in any form due to entering lower figures and not complying.

In fact, it could go down as a departure under 120.3 - the resulting degree of safety of the installation shall be not less than that obtained by compliance with the regulations.

We now have compliance :)

Sponsored Links
Equitum

I now have the book open in front of me.

Table 41.5 appears in a section under the heading "TT system".

The table itself is titled,

"Maximum Earth Fault Loop Impedance (Zs) To Ensure RCD Operation In Accordance With Regulation 411.5.3......."

All the table is effectively saying is that at a Uo of 230V, an RCD of 0.03A rating will operate effectively up to a maximum of 1667 Ohms.
(As I said before, I don't agree with that figure).

Where on earth does it say, "This is the figure you must enter in any test certificates."?

SS,

Yes, table 41.5 is in the section for TT systems. However, as pointed out earlier it is referenced to from the TN systems section (411.4.9).

BS7671 isn't telling you enter the value in table 41.5 as the maximum permited, niether does it say anywhere that the value in any other table or derived from any other calculation must be entered. It is the form that is effectively asking the person completing it a question, to which the answer can be found in BS7671 (In this case 411.4.9), just the same as for any other entry on the EIC where a maximum value is required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back