Maximising the value of Land & Greenbelt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

Can anybody help me maximise the value of the land that I own please?

Basically, I own over 3 hectares of land in the North East. There is a detached house as part of the land (which can now be demolished if necessary). If the house was demolished it would also provide a bigger access road to the land in question.

The land itself is classed as greenbelt I believe, although I'm not sure what would happen if the current dwelling was demolished (IE would it enable me to submit planning for more dwellings in it's place?)

More importantly - greenbelt or not - I want to maximise the value of the land before selling it, and would appreciate knowing where to start - IE who could tell me 1) What I could build on it and 2) What I should build on it.

I hope somebody can help me as I'm lost and not flush with money either.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Planning consultants do this sort of thing and look on it as their fee will be deductible from the profit you make.

I hope somebody can help me as I'm lost and not flush with money either.
Round these parts, there is a fair bit of anecdotal evidence that strategically targetted money (cash only) will significantly improve your chances of success. So get yer credit cards out and get some cash advances :)

Very limited. You might be able to get approval for a replacement dwelling on the same footprint. You might get approval for something else if you can show a special need. By that I mean very special need - not just that you really, really need it. The only possibility for a dwelling in that case is if you have a special case for housing agricultural workers. But that won't really maximise the value because it will be very restrictive on who can live in the house and will basically mean you can't sell it.

Somebody I know bought a piece of land in the green belt quite a few years ago hoping to be able to develop. In the end he planted it with apple trees and he now sells the apples to local cider makers.

Speak to the local planning officers, after all they will have the final say.
A planning officer once pointed out to a client of mine - if you demolish a building how can you replace it, there is nothing there to relace.
Remember the green belt is there for a very good reason.

Sponsored Links
if you demolish a building how can you replace it, there is nothing there to relace.

What a stupid comment... especially from a planning officer.

But it's exactly how the twisted planning folks think !
He has given the game away !
If you demolish it before you apply for planning permission you will not be allowed to replace it - even like for like - for that is development in green belt !

I didn't read it like that.

Of course you can't replace something that isn't there... from the LPA's eyes... as that counts as a new build. But why even go to the extent of demolishing a building along with services without consulting the LPA in the first place?

Surely any "normal" person would do a little bit of research as to what can be done if the building was to be demolished. So anybody thinking they can just erect a new building without planning and/or building regulations is just stupid.

if you demolish a building how can you replace it, there is nothing there to relace.

What a stupid comment... especially from a planning officer.
Worked alright with Berlin -- and that was Gerry Builders :rolleyes: KDF.. And Hiroshima come to think of it . Maybe that`s why we buy their cars/bikes/white goods/ships etc.

I didn't read it like that.

. So anybody thinking they can just erect a new building without planning and/or building regulations is just stupid.
OR a ***** - and they get away with it :LOL: :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back