planning headache and greenbelt definitions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys! :D
my first post!
here's the problem - hope someone can advise!
about 20 years ago my folks bought a derelict bunglalow and rebuilt it, also they built a double detached brick/tile garage on the plot (abt 0.9 acre)
(previously the site had been a brickworks and the old footings are still in the ground)

they sold the bungalow about 10 years ago but kept two thirds of the land with the garage. they have made several planning apps to build affordable housing which were refused, and permission to convert the garage into a dwelling (it's basically a bungalow shaped garage by design!) this was also refused as the site is classed as "greenbelt"

now, as the site was a brickworks, then a garden i don't understand how it is "greenbelt" also a housing estate has popped up across the road and a sports pitch and club house to the rear - confused!

any ideas anyone - i'm no expect so please explain so that novice me understands - after all the probs with it, the folks have given up on it so it's down to me! there must be a way of making a small income out of it if nothing else?
thankyou
jaynie :confused:

Sponsored Links
Green belt is green belt, and it is possible for development to be on one side of the road/boundary and green fields on the other.

Previous use is immaterial if the green belt boundary has bee subsequently set.

If the council has refused several applications, and if appeals got no-where, then it may well be that you wont be able to do much with the land under current policies

For a start you need to look at the relevant local plan sections and see what is allowed and what is not allowed. If it's not in the plan it won't be approved so start there. Next you should look at the previous applications and take careful note of the reasons for refusal given in the decision notice. There should also be a 'report' prepared by the planning officer. The report should give a but more background reasoning than the decision notice.

When you've got your head around that lot you might consider consulting a planning consultant.

thanks john- now i have a place to start - it'll be a huge learning curve! i can't afford to be throwing money at it if it's a lost cause so i need to do my research! if all else fails i'll plant spuds - although stratford would prob require planning for that too!
jaynie

Sponsored Links
PS. The planning reports will give you a list of all relevant documents - e.g. legislation, guidance notes, supplemetary planning documents (SPDs), etc. Most of the documents should be somewhere on the planning website, or you could ask the planning dept to email them to you.

thanks again john - i've found the relevant website - it'll take a while to dredge through it - v complicated to understand for a novice and looking unlikely to be worth it. maybe the garage can be converted for business use and let- it's a fair size and high enough for 2 stories. might be worth a shot!

May also be worth talking to the planners about what they would support there, often the planners encourage development of some kind just not always housing.

yes worth a try definately - last time though he refused the plan but then offered to buy the land himself - curious!

Are you saying the planner offered to purchase the land?

yes! which makes me think that there's something we can do with the land! maybe something we haven't thought of, or perhaps the greenbelt boundaries will change in the future.
looking at the local plan as suggested, business use of the garage building might be the best bet for now. Still learning a huge amount !
totally mind-boggled!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back