Maximum door opening width - french door options!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all -

We're building an extension that has a door opening of about 8 feet going out onto our veranda, and am going round in circles about what sort of doors to have here!

Of course, we could have two french doors (with those demi panels on one side, or a larger panel on one side etc etc).

What we'd really like are two doors that open outward, in the classic french door style, but filling pretty much the whole width, i.e., without any side panel. This will allow of course the maximum opening space. We could of course have the slidy foldy doors, but these do look pretty pricey.

So a question? If the gap was four feet, it looks easy to have 2x2ft doors which open. But it's not, it's about 8 feet so we need bi-iig doors. Has anyone done this? I can't seem to see them anywhere; doors that big. I guess it could be that the doors would be too heavy for the hinges at that size, but, well, I don't know.

Any ideas? Two doors of 4ft approx wide opening to an eight foot gap?

Many thanks, as ever!

ddm*

Sponsored Links
Most manufacturers are right on the limit at about 2m. The weight of each piece of glass dictates this, and anything above this can cause premature hinge failure. Ive just priced a 3 panel tri-fold from my supplier (2400 x 2100) in white uPVC at around £1700 supply only - I can pass your details on, or give you their phone no if you want, just PM me. Incidentally, my customer went for a 400 - 1600 - 400 french pair with sides due solely to cost. Good luck

i must also point out that those doors are 'top hung' which means you have to factor the weight in when speccing your lintel.

Sponsored Links
IMO 2 x 4ft doors will look awful.
The largest size I would go for is 1800mm.
If you really must have it opening competely then the only option is bi-fold.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back