Maximum extension under PD for this plan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,
I was thinking of extending this rear wards 2 storey or single storey but don't think it's straight forwards. Boundary to the right is on the line and the left is 1m, detached property.
Garden is over 100ft. Would appreciate your thoughts and any sketches on the attached.
Many Thanks!

Attachments

• floor.jpg
    floor.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 54
Sponsored Links
I think for a single story rear permitted development extension on a detached house you are limited to 4m (unless you apply for prior approval).
If you go to two stories I believe the limit is 3m for the whole extension.

I'm pretty sure you can extend behind the kitchen, but I'm unsure if you can make full use of the space behind the sitting room. It may depend on whether the sitting room wall is classified as a rear elevation, or whether that area is a side elevation.
The technical guidance on this is a bit confusing - https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...class-a-enlargement-improvement-or-alteration

thank you! I sort of feared exactly what you mentioned. Currently the house is rather tight and difficult to extend.
Can that L bit infill be a side extension or is that not permitted?

Sponsored Links
For the permitted development option you can submit an application for a lawful development certificate. This will at least get you (or not) the paperwork that will allow you to build without fear of breaking the rules.

Or you could try applying for full planning permission. Is there a reason for wanting to do this under PD rather than full planning permission?

Are you aware of the restrictions about Right to light and your neighbours?
Yes, the neighbours on one side is their garages and the other is their side wall with no windows so not sure how that applies here
For the permitted development option you can submit an application for a lawful development certificate. This will at least get you (or not) the paperwork that will allow you to build without fear of breaking the rules.

Or you could try applying for full planning permission. Is there a reason for wanting to do this under PD rather than full planning permission?
I am thinking of putting an offer on it and property is in an area where you cannot change the brick work. So trying to figure the worst case scenario

for PD thats a side extension so you can only extend back one storey 2.74m
Does this mean I can go back off the kitchen width at 4m depth and off the side of the kitchen behind the lounge till it meets the main side wall ( all single story?)

There's a consultation on extending PD size allowances, and possibly including "wrap-arounds". Maybe worth investigating although obviously nothing concrete at the moment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back