maximum permitted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone please help me -

What is the maximum permitted value of resistance acceptable when verifying the continuity of the bonding conductor?
I can't find it in the OSG, REGS or Guidance Note 3
A subtle hint to the page number would be cool.

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Hi Bushy, there is no maximum value permitted as such. It's more a case of estimating length of bonding conductor, looking up resistance/meter of your particular cable, and seeing if this all tallies with your reading. Hope this helps/ makes sense.
Fratton sPark

Thanks for the speedy response. so am I rite in thinking then that firstly do the test then looking up the cable size in the regs then using a Formulea you can then see if this is a safe installation.

Where can I find the cable values for resistance? OSG or Regs?

Thanks again

Cause it's late, I can't think off top of head, where to find them. But i know I have a print-out close to hand, which I will happily mail to you.

Sponsored Links
Table 9A OSG P158 - PHASE and CPC csa's plus resistance values per metre, thanks man owe you one

thanks again for taking the time out

====================
email address removed, see forum rule 7

0.05 is max permitted.
If you calculate the length and tabulated resistance on the installation then you should find that it comes to less than this (unless, of copurse it`s miles away) or 27m if taken from tables will ensure it does not exceed this figure

Ding, Ebee, just checked GN3 and you are both correct. Bushy, sorry for misleading you.
But, I have learnt something new. Since doing my 2391, I have worked on the proviso that Main Equi conductors had no maximum value as such. Just dug out my college print-outs, and these do say as I remembered. What is more surprising is that my lecturer (no names mentioned) was the man who wrote certain books on the subject, writes the C+G exams, and devised certain parts of the test procedure.
But GN3 states catergorically that both Main and Supp bonding conductors should be "of the order of 0.05 Ohm or less."
So from now, I will bear this figure in mind, and thank you all for helping me learn something new.

We all benefit from forums such as this, that`s the beauty of of it.
(Is the plural of forum , forums?)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back