Mayday Mayday Mayday --- Changed Public Sewer Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I had BCO came araound on friday, and asked me to move the manhole which was in the way of my new foundations of kitchen extension at rear of my house. I already have buildover agreement.

So yesterday we knocked down old manhole and moved it 2 meters further downstream. As a patch of pipe was to be put in where previous manhole was taken out, so i thought i might as well put a new pipe in from one end to other end of my property boundries so no joints and hence no leaks in the future. We dug out Clay Pipe (160mm) and put new PVC pipe (160mm) and connected it with clay pipe on either end of my property. New manhole is being built today.

Now someone told me last night, you were not supposed to touch that pipe (clay pipe).

I dont know What to do now? What is going to happen? Also, BCO is coming around tomorrow morning.

Please please please, honest/expert advise.

Sponsored Links
That's correct, you shouldn't really have just done it yourself. However, what's done is done and as long as you confident it is done properly I would backfill it (ASAP) and forget about it.

Does this sewer, the one you replaced, carry waste from other houses as well as from yours.

If so the local water company are responsible for it as it is a shared service.

If not too late take photos to show what you did, most importantly that the fall ( slope ) on the pipe is correct.

The risk is that long plastic pipes when hot water flows can expand and without expansion joints they can bend and if part of the pipe goes an inch or so upwards then the fall is reduced. solids get stuck and the pipe clogs.

Yes, upstream there are two houses, then mine, and one house after mine.

If someone can tell me , if there are any penalties? or consequeces? - from water board.

The job I have done is not a bodge, it is a really good job. Its just that i was not aware that i shudnt be doing it.

Neighbours have run water many times through but no leaks.

Sponsored Links
You should have sought permission and employed a contractor who is licensed to work on public sewers. Ultimately you can be fined if convicted (working on sewers is covered by statutory legislation) and if the works are redone by the Water Authority they can seek to recover the costs.

Fill it in and if there are no problems with it, it will probably go unnoticed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back