Maytag Fridge/Freezer leaking water ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My upright Maytag with water dispenser and ice maker works fine but the problem is, it has started to leak out water. It only does it at certain times so I think the frost free function is melting excess ice that might be building up somewhere. Could this be the cause ?
Asking advice before I unplug it for a couple of days which would melt any hidden ice.

Sponsored Links
Looking at it, it seems water is freezing on the 'floor' of the freezer then melting. The water looks to be coming from the 'grill' type vent on the rear wall of the inside of the freezer.

The drain hole at the base of the freezer (behind the cover over the evaporator) is blocked. Defrosting may work but if you can remove the cover you will be able to get at it that way.

Sponsored Links
I defrosted the freezer so the ice behind the rear grill and on the floor of the freezer melted. I left it a couple of days and switched it back on. After a couple of weeks it started to leak again. I'm now going to look at the drain hole, but firstly do I need to go around the back or under the freezer or is it a case of removing the rear grill to access the drain ??
Just out of curiosity:Where does the water go when its gone in the drain hole ?

Get some hot water down the drain until it is clear, once the water runs down the drain stop so as not to overfill drip tray, if you don't clear it the fault will keep returning.
Colin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back