MCB Blown and wont reset

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Took a light fitting off the wall today and upon reconnecting and turning the light on it had tripped the the electrics and the downstairs lighting MCB (6Amp). I lifted the switch and turned the light on again and the MCB then blown. It will not reset and is now permanently in the down/off position. Every time is try to lift it, it sparks inside the MCB and the whole electrics trip again. Is the MCB dead and buried and need replacing?

Ive removed the light bulbs yet it still trips.
I will check the wiring is secure again tomorrow once its a bit lighter.

Any other advice please!!

Sponsored Links
No the MCB sounds to be doing it's job exactly as it is designed to.

Were there 3 or more cables at the light by any chance?

Yes. Live, neutral and earth. They are connected to the correct place. Just hope its a lose connection.

Sounds like you've trapped or screwed through a wire on putting your light up, causing a short circuit.

Sponsored Links
Only used 2 existing holes with plugs in for the bracket. Cant see it being that as the screws went straight back into the plugs . I was wallpapering so was thinking if maybe a bit of paste from my hand had got onto the wires.. Not while pasting the wall as I had a bag over the wires.

If your correct how would I remedy or find out. Take the bracket off again?

Yep take the bracket off and see if you can pull a but of the cable out of the ceiling and inspect for damage.

Is the light fitting an existing one you've put back up, or a brand new fitting?

It's unlikely to be wallpaper paste that's causing the problem.

As you've been decorating, you've not loosened the light switch off and screwed it back up have you?

It is an existing wall light I took off to wallpaper. I disconnected the live, neutral and earth and took off the bracket. I will check for damage tomorrow. but as its embedded in the wall it may prove difficult.
Not touched the light switch as ive not decorated that wall yet.

Thanks for the help

Just noticed this morning that the problem may be witg the switch. As said before when I turned light on to check it all works again in tripped. Just noticed the actual light switch is stuck in the 'on' position and wont budge. All wire looks ok and have took the casing of the switch, its a 3 switch type. The other 2 (ceiling lights, seem ok).

On the side of switch in question i have brown going into 1 way, and 2 brown going into common. 1 of these is from the mains and one is joined to another common, presumably to connect the circuit to the other 2 switches. Earthed and live wire also. Hope that makes sense

If you didn't disconnect the wires in the switch they won't be the problem, but if the switch is stuck it probably means the contacts in the back of the switch have fused. New switch time.

PJ

Sorted. Changed switch and still tripped. Took both lights off and was fine. Put one on and tripper. Found the cuprit. Was a different light to what I thought. Lose connection. Working fine again now.

Cheers guys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back