MCB Fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

ive just moved to a new house and thought that i would put some MCB's in my consumer unit, so off i went to the diy shop and bought a 5A one first as thats what i needed there and then,

when i got home i realised that the prongs were too wide and would not fit the slots on my unit.

My unit uses the cartrige type fuse holders, i was woundering what i can do to get my mcb to fit, is there an adapter i can use?

cheers

mick

Sponsored Links
If you have a Wylex standard consumer unit (fuse box) please get an electrician to look over your installation before making changes to it. An MCB will make it no safer - it does the same job as a fuse.

Why did you need a 5A one there and then? Had it blown? Do you know why?

The fuse had blown (my fault i was redoing an attic light) and i had no more 5A fuses and as diy store was close by i nipped down and decided that i would put in an mcb as i had done in previous houses.

Just prefer the trip type as im away alot and the wife wouldnt have a clue about putting a new fuse in so i thought i would make it a lot simpler for her.

Thats why i was thinking is there an adapter or something i could just plug on

Soulds like tou have cartridge fuses and not fusewire??
IF you have a Wylex fuse board then these are available:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Consumer_Units_Index/Wylex_Standard_Range/index.html
I have seen these in larger B&Q sheds.

The width of the pins a re different to stop you putting a 50amp breaker into a 5A slot. The plug in CBs should come with a matching plug-in bit.

You should have this done and tested by a registered spark as you are changing the characteristics of the circuit.

Sponsored Links
You are wasting your money and time by fitting those plug in circuit breakers.

If fuses are blowing often, there are problems which need to be identified and fixed.

It is perfectly normal for B6 Lighting MCB Breakers to trip out when lamps fail, even on a perfectly healthy circuit - in my house it happens - lamp fails, pop goes the B6 lighting breaker, and I just change the lamp, and flick it back on afterwards. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back