mcb keeps cutting off when shower is switched on...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
does that mean i need to change the fuse or is there something wrong with my electric shower? there's still flow of cold water when set to cold but as soon as i switch the hot temperature the flow of water stops and the mcb cuts off ...
any advice on what to do next will be much appreciated .
many thanks

Sponsored Links
not really... i included some pics on my profile as i can't work out how to send it now...not good at computer stuff :confused: ... anyways it is a triton ivory and it says 8.7-9.5 kw bla bla bla and the mcb or rcd is a 40a i think... it was installed probrably 3 or 4 years ago...

oh, here it is...

Sponsored Links
Tell us what is weritten on the MCB/RCD. That will help.

If it has worked reliably for 2 years then its more likely to be a fault with the shower....

well it doesn't say much on the rcb/mcb ... only that is a 40 A and there's a push in test that says 30mA ... does that help?
so will this be a electrician job or a plumber's job?
the shower power swicth is working fine... it's only when the hot water is switched on that cuts off... so i guess it will be something to do with the shower,right?

that is an RCD.

The tripping suggests that you have an earth fault some where!

Those supply cables look a little on the dainty side for this shower!!

I would get an Electrician in to have a good look at it for you!!!

The shower may be stuffed but it isn't showing any obvious signs of wearing

the purpose of the RCD is to cut power when there is an electrical fault leading to earth leakage. Earth leakage can cause injury or death, and is particularly dangerous when exposed skin is wet and may be touching other metal objects such as taps.

Electric heating elements (e.g. in cookers, immersion heaters and showers) often break down with age and cause earth leakage. You could pay an electrician to come and test it for you.

Or you could just save the cost of testing and just have the shower replaced. If you can find a good local electrician who is willing to perform the tests and fit a new shower for you in one visit for one charge, that would be ideal. Plumbers also fit showers but will not usually be qualified to carry out the tests. Some electricians may not want to do the plumbing work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back