MCB melted

Yes, that's true, but when we are doing 'mechanical' things, we usually use spanners or socket wrenches of appreciable length (many inches), hence appreciable leverage, whereas when tightening electrical terminals, the screwdriver will not usually not have a radius greater than half an inch or thereabouts.
Yes, I was just making the point that sometimes 'judgement' is not good enough.

OOI, have you tried torquing a terminal, then returning to it some time later and re-torquing it after it has settled down?

Sponsored Links
Yes, I was just making the point that sometimes 'judgement' is not good enough.
Sure - and, as I have acknowledged, I don't know whether what I do (and have been doing for 50+ years) is right or wrong.
OOI, have you tried torquing a terminal, then returning to it some time later and re-torquing it after it has settled down?
Oh, yes. Indeed, with some of the 'heavier' stuff (things like cylinder head nuts) it's more-or-less essential to do that.

Kind Regards, John

Putting things into context, when I recently checked the connections in my five year old consumer unit, all the larger connections could be tightened one full turn, including the busbar connections. Thank god I checked the tightness of all connections in the board!

Sponsored Links
No, I meant an electrical terminal, with your torque screwdriver.
I realise that, and my first sentence ("Oh, Yes.") was a reply to that. The bit about cylinder head nuts was an add-on.

To expand my two-word reply, if I returned to a torqued terminal after a day or three and re-torqued it, I would usually get a fair bit more tightening - but it will still be far less tight (after that re-torquing) than I would have done manually.

Kind Regards, John

Putting things into context, when I recently checked the connections in my five year old consumer unit, all the larger connections could be tightened one full turn, including the busbar connections. Thank god I checked the tightness of all connections in the board!
That doesn't surprise me, and you should be even more worried about the fact that they may well have been that loose since just a few days after they were initially tightened, five years ago.

Kind Regards, John

My experience is very limited but I have to wonder where these enormous PFCs in domestic premises come from, even in London - not that it means much, but I don't think I have ever seen one appreciably over 1kA. A PFC of 6kA means a total loop impedance of less than 0.04Ω - which would seemingly require one to have a substation in, or close to,one's garden, connected by pretty fat cable :)
Recorded a Ze today of 0.03Ω with a PFC of 6.6kA. Wasn't domestic but there were plenty of 6000 breakers in the board :whistle:

Recorded a Ze today of 0.03Ω with a PFC of 6.6kA. Wasn't domestic but there were plenty of 6000 breakers in the board :whistle:
Well, yes, I did indicate that I was specifically talking about domestic premises. If one is talking about a high-capacity supply, then obviously the PFC has to be very high (since, otherwise, their supply voltage at high load would be exceeding low!). However, I confess that I had not thought about blocks of flats, which can easily have a 'commercial' (or even 'industrial'!) supply, despite the fact that the individual dwellings are modest.

Kind Regards, John

No, just an ordinary PZ2 screwdriver

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is it when using a Torque driver on electrical connections, one can still tighten the connector by a quarter turn or two with a standard screwdriver??

Because as John has said - the torque setting is not as tight as he does it manually.

You could increase the torque setting until it matches your manual tightening and see what it is.
I can't; I don't have one.

I do have the 'proper' +- (or whatever they are called this week) drivers and you can do them even tighter.

Do you boys get your torque screwdriver calibrated regularly? No calibration, no point!

Nozzle

Because as John has said - the torque setting is not as tight as he does it manually. ... You could increase the torque setting until it matches your manual tightening and see what it is.
I can't; I don't have one.
I've done that experiment a good few times. It seems that my "manual torque" (as I've used for the past 40+ years) is usually 30% - 50% higher than the 'recommended' torque.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back