My fuse box has spelt of burning and is getting hot and melt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

For the last few weeks we have noticed a burning smell in the room where the fuse box is. The house is ten years old. Today the burning smell was bad and on closer inspection one area of the box was very hot and had melted.

Help!! :(

Sponsored Links
I suggest you switch all all big and non essential loads, cut down to few lights and fridge freezer and get an electrician in ASAP. Even better would be to switch off the main switch if thats feasable.

Worth checking your household insurance, its possible that they might cover things like this

I suggest you switch all all big and non essential loads, cut down to few lights and fridge freezer and get an electrician in ASAP. Even better would be to switch off the main switch if thats feasable.

Worth checking your household insurance, its possible that they might cover things like this

I suggest getting out of the house ASAP. ....................

well it might not be a wind up

Sponsored Links
You think that the OP and all the others in the house really are so dim that they do nothing for weeks about a burning smell coming from a CU, and then when they get around to noticing visible signs of overheating they start searching on the internet for DIY forums?

I can smell gas. I smelt it last week, and noticed a little hole in the gas pipe, but thought nothing of it, it was probably always like that. But the smell is stronger now. What should I do? I darent turn on the lights in case the spark ignites the gas, and if I open the windows the neighbours will complain of the smell. I'm currently finding my way around by candlelight. Please help.

You think that the OP and all the others in the house really are so dim that they do nothing for weeks about a burning smell coming from a CU, and then when they get around to noticing visible signs of overheating they start searching on the internet for DIY forums?

yep - seen it all before ............. more than once, you?

It might be a big joke to you, but I have worked for plenty of customers who don't any concept what so ever that burning electrical equipment might be dangerous.

I've been to a few fuse box fires, and not one of them could appreciate quite how bad things were. One customer even painted over the scorch marks on the wall above the hole that had melted into the top of the CU.

It wasn't until everything actually stopped working that I got the call.

It might be a big joke to you, but I have worked for plenty of customers who don't any concept what so ever that burning electrical equipment might be dangerous.

I've been to a few fuse box fires, and not one of them could appreciate quite how bad things were. One customer even painted over the scorch marks on the wall above the hole that had melted into the top of the CU.

me? I`ve seen far too many cooked batteries and blown charging circuits to joke about electrical fire.

Natural selection at work. It burns a bit, they're stupid enough to ignore it, it burns their house down, they die. Unfortunatly others may also die with them.

me? I`ve seen far too many cooked batteries and blown charging circuits to joke about electrical fire.

No, it wasn't aimed at you. We posted at the same time. It was generally at all the comments about it being a wind up et al.

Like the one above for example. Really helpful.

True,
Only last week, when the heater finally went off with sparks from the spur, they reported it, even though the spur was burnt through the front and they smelt it all week..

Natural selection at work. It burns a bit, they're stupid enough to ignore it, it burns their house down, they die. Unfortunatly others may also die with them.

It is not always that easy to locate, most of the time it is not a burning smell given off.
Most people say it is a fishy smell.
Once you smell it you know it, but the average person would not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back