Lighting circuit dead after repairing fault

Yes, I’ll do it myself. I successfully fitted one of these light junction boxes a couple of years ago. I’d just like some guidance on fitting a new light fitting onto these existing wires… I’m not a complete idiot though I grant that you’d be forgiven for thinking so. I don’t really want to have to dig out the recessed spot that I fitted the similar junction box to. I do get that some of these would connect the new fitting and that some will continue the circuit for the other lights.

Sponsored Links
I do understand that the 3 cables are loop in, loop out and switch … it’s just identifying which is which

If, and only if - there is just one switch for that light - not a two-way light switch and you are desperate to get the other lights back on.

1. Isolate the supply at the main switch.

2. Remove and disconnect the one single light switch, fit a choc block / connector to each wire, separately, so they are individually insulated.

3. Refit the switch temporarily, for safety, over the top of the choc block, without connecting the switch to anything.

4. At the ceiling light position, strip the outer grey back of any damaged cables, trim and strip back the reds and black of each.

5. Using three choc blocks, connect all three reds together into one, connect all three black into another, all three earth wires into the third.

6. If you then put the main switch back on, the other lights will then work.

You then need to get someone in, who knows what they are doing and with test gear, to properly reconnect that light.

Sponsored Links
This would be MY starting point as my remote assessment/assumption, I'd expect L = red & SL = black in the cable with red tape.

However you say the cable you got a shock from is that with the red tape. For that reason I'm reluctant to offer any advice. Especially as you have no test kit.
1674073975755.png

Harry has offered the best advice.

Many thanks to everyone and especially to Terryplumb….everything now on the way to completion :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 54

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back