My fuse box has spelt of burning and is getting hot and melt

Can't think why there're all the silly comments. Not at all uncommon for people to put up with a smell from the CU (or socket or plug etc.) for ages.

I had one 2 weeks ago. Customer complained of a smell when using a new tumble drier. Stripped screw in the CU which had probably been like it for ever judging by the burning but only became unbearable with the new load.

Sponsored Links
One of my wife's relatives had noticed burning smell in the lounge. Thought nothing of it as no flames were ever seen.

Then I had another reason to look at the meter.

The fuse in a MEM box supplying the cooker had got hot enough at some time to melt the PVC of the single core Live coming up through the charred remains of a rubber grommet. (the Neutral had its own hole and grommet ). The under side of top of the wooden box above the charred grommet was scorched so there had been small fire there.

32 amps from a 15 amp MEM box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back