MCB on but no power in sockets

Sponsored Links
I'm thick then 'coz it happened! Anyway, the spark is coming to replace the MCB tomorrow so cheers for the help. You don't mind if I don't "thank" you sheddy eh? Loosen up mate. What's the big deal about giving a circuit breaker a nudge when no leccy is flowing through it?

Sponsored Links
why do you think moorzee is a pathetic and inadequate little liar?
he seems alright.
Because this has to be a windup.

He pulled the main supply fuse?

He told his wife to whack an MCB with her shoe?

Do me a favour....

but he didn't tell lies. he told us exactly what he did. he obviously doesn't know how to be careful with electricity but fortunately he got a professional in fairly promptly.

Monday 8:30 am
Took main fuse out of supply and removed panel from circuit box. Looked a bit too "sparkyfied" for me so replaced panel and main fuse.

Bingo... I had power and hot water again.

Tuesday 14:20 hrs same again. Told my missus via mobile to turn leccy off & clout the MCB with her shoe. Didn't solve it :)

Got sparky out and the MCB is "burnt out". £40 for him to get juice flowing tonight via existing MCB for rest of house & replace tomorrow. Does that sound about right folks?

Cheers

Paul.
**** off you pathetic and inadequate little liar.

Please don't insult people BAS, you really will get the sharp end of someone's tongue if you're not careful. People come on this forum for advice, not to be called "inadequate". Whether they are lying or not, it's just not nice.

(Edited slightly)

why do you think moorzee is a pathetic and inadequate little liar?
he seems alright.
Because this has to be a windup.

He pulled the main supply fuse?

He told his wife to whack an MCB with her shoe?

Do me a favour....

but he didn't tell lies. he told us exactly what he did. he obviously doesn't know how to be careful with electricity but fortunately he got a professional in fairly promptly.

Cheers sparkwright. You are correct, I've not lied about any of it, I dont see any potential harm in nudging a MCB with a shoe. The fact I can drop down a plastic cover and touch it with my bare fingers makes me think it's not the most unsafe object in the world?

Anyways, as you say I've got the geeza coming in to replace the part so job'll be sorted.

Cheers for the advice and Sheddy...... Giz a kiss ya big sack 'o sh!te mmwaaaaah.

Yeah. The big 100 amp thing on the main supply........... Am I missing summot here?
Yes, the significant risk when pulling out the main fuse.

Fair do's. I'll deffo bear that in mind for future "non pulling out" of the fuse although to be honest, and perhaps a little dim, I fail to see how I'll be pulling it out any differently to an electrician?

If the whole installation is isolated first and the fuse pulls out properly, the danger is minimal (other than live parts being exposed).

The problems occur when things don't go as expected, such as:
The fuseholder breaks
The cutout breaks
One or more of the contacts is pulled out of the cutout.

If the correct protective equipment is being worn and the relevant tools on hand, none of these is particularly difficult to deal with.
If not - then serious damage and injury is likely.

Unless the consumer unit/fuseboard is being replaced, or there is some drastic fault with it there is no need to remove the fuse, and most DNOs don't want people removing the fuse anyway, electrician or not. Prosecution for tampering with their euipment is possible (although unlikely).

Cheers for the info. I know if I stuck a fork into where the fuse was I'd be in the shyte but thought that's what the fuse was for, to cut flow of electric to the box.

Thanks for the advice. I'll leave well enough alone in future. :)

Will you dress up? ;)

So what do you think I've been doing for the past hour. I've bathed, had a shave (not the moustache though) and I'm down from 20 stone to 19.5 stone compared with last week. I do tend to fart a bit but I'm sure you'll get used to it.

Sound hot..... The phanny tickler's gonna have to go though Derek. Not my bag I'm afraid :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back