MCB/RCD for power shower keeps tripping

K

Klaus_K

I have a 16A MCB/RCD that controls two power showers. It has been working fine for a couple of years now, but I now find that it trips out when I have both showers on full power (pump only).

Is this likely to be a fault with the MCB? If so, how easy will it be to replace it? Note that it works fine providing I only use one of the showers at a time, so my suspicion is that it's the current that's causing the trip to occur.

The MCB occupies the width of two standard MCBs, with the left hand side containing the reset switch and the right hand side containing the RCD test switch. Can anybody suggest a suitable supplier? It is marked with an ornate GE (General Electric?) - if that helps.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
By the way you describe the breaker it sounds like a RCBO which is a Residual Current Circuit Breaker with intergral oveload protection.

Therefore the tripping could be caused by overload of circuit or more than likely earth leakage.

It is highly unlikely that the breaker is at fault so before you go and spend £40+ on a new one you need to find the fault.

A quick visual check of pumps/power showers to see if there is any sign of water ingress to the elctrics would be a good starting point.

If nothing obvious then an insulation test of the circuit may show up fault.

As I say, it only trips when I turn up the showers to full blast on the pump. If I leave it at low power then it all seems to work fine.

If it was an earth leakage issue, wouldn't that happen regardless of the power settings (i.e. just by switching the pump on)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back