RCD Randomly Tripping

Sponsored Links
I made a suggestion, which would apply to ANYBODY who is starting out testing, where I advised Andrew reads up on testing before he 'plays with his new toy'....
You did - but what I don't really understand (and hence why I have been 'defending' him) is why you singled out Andrew to be the recipient of that suggestion/advice - since I personally think that he appears to be one of the least likely to need that advice that we have seen here for quite a long time.

Kind Regards, John

104099-a6934748582a1e8a6f4c6b170c2a1e11.jpg

Not even really sure how it could have happened.

Im sure i see it on telly once, the cores can only be made in certain lengths, so every so often a new length of the core is tied on to the end and the machine continues.
further on the process the finished cable is scanned, the joints detected and the section cut out and wasted, then the resulting lengths with no joints are cut and drummed as required.
Occasionally these joints slip through the process

Sponsored Links
Mm, if there was a very good reason for IR tests that's it ! I have only ever had i batch of 'faulty' T+E , the outer sheath was stuck to the inner red core all the way through the drum.

DS

I must say there is quite a lot of crap cable out there, undersized conductors, had insulation stuck to sheath, sheath not closed properly so the 3 wires fell out as the cable was pulled off of the drum! More recently it has been flex that is less flexible than T+E. The manufacturers DGAS any more.

Im sure i see it on telly once, the cores can only be made in certain lengths, so every so often a new length of the core is tied on to the end and the machine continues.
further on the process the finished cable is scanned, the joints detected and the section cut out and wasted, then the resulting lengths with no joints are cut and drummed as required.
Occasionally these joints slip through the process
That seems to be the case, but I would have thought, you'd make the inner cores in say a 500m/1000m length and then use them all up equally! I don't see how one core can run out partway down a drum/batch whatever.

I saw a video on youtube, can't remember what company it was (obviously not this one) but they flash test (or claim to) all the cables they make. No way you wouldn't pick that up with any kind of test.

As I posted earlier it is to keep the machine running continuously, much easier than resetting the whole machine after each length.

Mm, if there was a very good reason for IR tests that's it ! I have only ever had i batch of 'faulty' T+E , the outer sheath was stuck to the inner red core all the way through the drum.

DS
we had similar a while back but with with flex and swa, as if it was melted together, unfortunately not visible till installed and you go to strip it, seemed to be a lot of it knocking about round here just after the harmonised colours came in

I saw a video on youtube, can't remember what company it was (obviously not this one) but they flash test (or claim to) all the cables they make. No way you wouldn't pick that up with any kind of test.
As with other, I've only seen it one TV, but in a recent programme I saw the company in quetion (don't know which) not only IR tested (between cores) each complete production run, but they also submerged the entire 'megadrum' in water for a while and then undertook tests between the water and the cores, before cutting it up into lengths for sale. The commentator said that 1% - 2% of production batches were rejected because of the results of such tests.

Kind Regards, John

Wasn't that quite an old video? I seem to recall the cables conductors were being tinned in the same video? My memory is not very good so I could be mixing things up!

I made a suggestion, which would apply to ANYBODY who is starting out testing, where I advised Andrew reads up on testing before he 'plays with his new toy'....
You did - but what I don't really understand (and hence why I have been 'defending' him) is why you singled out Andrew to be the recipient of that suggestion/advice - since I personally think that he appears to be one of the least likely to need that advice that we have seen here for quite a long time.

Kind Regards, John

Where the hell is my attack? All I did was advise Andrew to read up on testing before he uses the kit. As an electrician, I would give the same advice to anybody starting out. I'm not singling Andrew out.

Where the hell is my attack? All I did was advise Andrew to read up on testing before he uses the kit.
Who said anything about "attacks"? I merely expressed surprise that you had chosen ('singled out') Andrew to be told what he undoubtedly already knew, when you could have chosen any number of other people whose need for reading (or inclination to read) before they did anything was almost certainly greater than Andrew's.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back