RCD/MCB tripping, nothing plugged in.

To be sure it is a wiring fault, you would have to be sure you have isolated all your appliances fully (ie both line and neutral). This may be tricky to do in all cases.

Consider stuff like outside lights, feeds to and circuits in outbuildings, pond pumps, showers, boilers, kettles, washing machines, dishwashers tumble driers, anything that uses, or is exposed to, water.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replies. I'm pretty confident that other than the cupboard light, nothing else is connected to this circuit.

Yes, the cupboard light is on an FCU. I took the fuse out but the RCD is still tripping.

Can MCBs be faulty? Do you just swap them over?

MCBs and RCDs can be faulty, fairly uncommon but it happens, next step is testing the affected circuits for earth fault(s), you will need some expertise and the right equipment

Sponsored Links
Thought I'd let you know the upshot of this.

When I was waiting for the electrician to call back I thought I'd check the sockets on the circuit. Sod's law would have it that the last one was where I found the problem - the twisted 3 strand earth connections had snapped off where they leave the cable casing.

Luckily there was plenty of give so I could shorten the cable and re-connect and now it's okay.

I'm puzzled as to why it happened though. It's not a damp wall and the cable wasn't distorted but there was a scorch mark on the live. It's red/black with white casing - is it just old?

A disconnected earth that cannot touch anything else like that should not cause a RCD to trip.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back