Tripping RCD and MCB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My downstairs sockets have just tripped out today, i was outside using the drill and the electric went off. I turned the rcd back on but it will not stay on as soon as i turn it on it just goes off. So i unplugged the downstairs socket wire on the mcb and moved it over to none rcd protected side and mcb stays on until i try to use some power, Low voltage telephone still working in downstairs sockets, but nothing else even a 60 watt light trips the circuit. i have looked inside the socket i was using and can see no problems in there, everything i try trips. Any Ideas???

Sponsored Links
Hi, wire the socket circuirt back into the RCD side. Make sure the neurals are wired into the rcd protected neutral bar in the fuse box. Make sure you isolate the main switch before you do this.Before you restore power, unplug everything on the soket circuirt including anything spured from it. ie. fans heating etc. Now you can restore power. If the rcd stays on then start plugging things back in. You may find that you have a faulty appliance and this should trip when plugged back in depending on the fault. This may well not be the fault but is worth a try at this stage.

Let me know how you get on?

Right got electric working for now, never thought of taking the neutral out of the rcd neutral bar. just done it and sockets are on tried turning everything on and seems okay only thing i have not tried is extension and drill will try this tomorrow and will move sockets over to rcd side again in the morning. Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
If your neutrals are mixed up it will trip the rcd as soon as you pull current through the rcd. Its basically an inbalance within the rcd coils. Just repeat what i have told you tomorrow. It seems there is a good chance your drill or extension may be the cause.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back