RCD Randomly Tripping

I am sorry if you think I was condescending or my advice was pointless.

I was advising you read up on what the test involves and how to interpret the results. As an experienced electrician, this is advice I would give anybody starting out. The instruction manual will tell you how to use the tester, but not what any readings indicate.

I would point out that the Insulation Resistance test should be carried out before you energise the circuit. It is also the test you carry out when you get a call to somebody with a tripping RCD. It doesn't always give the answer, as it may be due to earth leakage, but it would have saved you a lot of time this time around.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
From what I found, the training was to give enough information to pass exams but left a lot out of what needed to be learned to give a complete understanding.
Fairly typical of that type of course, which may have originally been intended for people with plenty of experience but no pieces of paper to prove it.
Unfortunately they are now advertised as some miracle way to become an electrician in a few months, with no prior knowledge or experience of any kind.

I am sure the fast track is great for an apprentice
Not really, the idea of an apprentice is to attend college for 1 day a week to learn the theory, and spend the other 4 days a week working alongside experienced electricians to learn the practical applications. Hence why such courses typically take a couple of years, as 1 day a week over 2 yearly terms of 35 weeks is only 70 days in total.
The 'fast track' efforts have just taken that same content and presented it 5 days a week, hence they only take 3 months or so for approximately the same 70 days.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back