MCB & RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if this topic has been done to death already, I did a search on the forum but could not find what I wanted.

I need to install a power outlet in the garden and have been advised to use a 32 A circuit - comprising of 6mm armoured cable a 30ma RCD and a 30A MCB.

My question is in fitting the MCB/RCD to the consumer unit, do these two devices come as one unit, or do I have to fit one, then chain the power into the other. I have looked at many wholesale catalogues and I have never seen them mentioned together.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
its called an rcbo, try a search for power to garage, power to outbuilding, power to shed, lots of relly usefull info

in part-reply to my own post, I notice that my consumer unit (new build property) already has a 30ma RCD fitted. Can I assume that this protects all circuits fed off the consumer unit?

If so, all I need is an MCB. Assuming I need to be able to deal with a 32A load, could I get away with a 30A MCB. A 40 A one sounds a bit excessive and possibly dangerous.

Thoughts please, and thanks.

Sponsored Links
thanks for your reply.

Is there a limit to the number of MCBs an RCD may feed? Is this a physical constraint of the consumer unit, or is there an imposed power limit.

I have four or five MCBs which appear to be associated with the RCD. There are spare slots in the consumer unit - is it normally straight forward to add another MCB to use the existing RCD?

thanks.

so long as it is same brand and on rcd side then yes, but i still suggest you look where i previously mentioned

And a 40A MCB will cost EXACTLY the same as a 32A :) BUT, cables size would dictate if you could use 40amp on your cable.

Let us know the length of run, what power you want (you say 32amp, but what actuall type of kit will be powered?). We can then calculate the correct size cable and MCB.

Also, you don't want faults in the garden tripping out all your sockets in the house. I'd always opt for putting your outside circuit on the NON-RCD side of the CU, then protecting it with its own RCD.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back