MCB Size?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got a gas cooker that's connected to a standard 32A MCB in the junction box. I'd like to replace it with a fully electric standalone cooker. I've been told that I should get the connection rewired and a 45A or 60A MCB put in. I've not picked a cooker but most from Currys and AO are rated just below 45A. Am I better off just putting in a 60A MCB in case I ever want to get a bigger cooker.

Cheers,

Sponsored Links
My cooker is maximum output 10466 - 12455 W variation is due to voltage variation so at 230 volt that is around 54 amp, but the instruction book still recommends 32 amp or greater, and I have had the cooker for some 10 years or more and it has never tripped the 32 amp MCB or RCBO when we moved here.

The worse case scenario it trips the MCB, which is not really that much of a problem. With my induction hob it can use more power, but since less power is wasted in real terms it uses less power and keeps the kitchen cooler.

I've got a gas cooker that's connected to a standard 32A MCB in the junction box. I'd like to replace it with a fully electric standalone cooker. I've been told that I should get the connection rewired and a 45A or 60A MCB put in.
Nonsense.

I've not picked a cooker but most from Currys and AO are rated just below 45A. Am I better off just putting in a 60A MCB in case I ever want to get a bigger cooker.
No.

What you have sounds like a standard UK cooker circuit and is adequate for any domestic cooking appliance you are likely to buy.

What you have sounds like a standard UK cooker circuit and is adequate for any domestic cooking appliance you are likely to buy.

Just to add. Normal domestic cooker circuit is 6mm/32A, which according to diversity guidelines is alright for cooking appliances with a headline rating adding upto something like 14kw. Effectivly whatever 600mm cooker (or the same appliances as separate units)

An occasionally seen arrangement is 10mm/45A for a range cooker (the 1200mm wide things) but generally such a beast will not give issues in practice on a 32A in a domestic kitchen. The only time i've seen it be a problem is in semi-commerial (A big house which had been coverted to house for young adults with various learning disabilites and where the kitchen was domestic style, but meals were prepared by the care staff, so obviously they were preparing a lot more food than you would at home.

60A cooker circuits are generally unheard of, anything needing that amount of generally would be a commerial appliance and would be designed to use all three phases.

Sponsored Links
Just to add. Normal domestic cooker circuit is 6mm/32A, which according to diversity guidelines is alright for cooking appliances with a headline rating adding upto something like 14kw.
Actually 20kW.

An occasionally seen arrangement is 10mm/45A for a range cooker (the 1200mm wide things)
Well, I don't know why. It seems people just do things and then that becomes accepted.

6mm² is adequate for 45A, and
4mm² is adequate for 32A.

Yes I know that cables might need derating because of installation methods but that does not alter the basic CCC (current carrying capacity) of cables.

but generally such a beast will not give issues in practice on a 32A in a domestic kitchen.
So what I said was correct, then.

The only time i've seen it be a problem is in semi-commerial (A big house which had been coverted to house for young adults with various learning disabilites and where the kitchen was domestic style, but meals were prepared by the care staff, so obviously they were preparing a lot more food than you would at home.
Does that make a difference?

60A cooker circuits are generally unheard of, anything needing that amount of generally would be a commerial appliance and would be designed to use all three phases.
Which is why I said 'domestic'.

Hi,

Many thanks for all the great advice. Some of the electric cookers say that they need to be hardwired in by an electrician, I assume they don't come with a plug. The bloke in the shop mentioned that unless I get the MCB sorted beforehand they won't install it. Is it normal for them to need hardwiring, I just assumed that they'd come with a plug, like my gas cooker.

Cheers,

Some of the electric cookers say that they need to be hardwired in by an electrician, I assume they don't come with a plug.
Yes, anything over ~3kW cannot use a plug.

The bloke in the shop mentioned that unless I get the MCB sorted beforehand they won't install it.
Was it he who told you the above nonsense?

Is it normal for them to need hardwiring,
Yes.

Curry's are well known for using any excuse for not fitting appliances.

I always found AO very good but it is unlikely they will alter a wall fitting. Perhaps it would be better to get an electrician to fit a cooker outlet ready for the new cooker.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back