MCB tripped, reset but no kitchen lights on the downstairs l

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Came in last and went to turn on kitchen lights but nothing. Checked the MCB for 'downstairs lighting' and it had tripped. Reset it, Hall lights came back on but not the kitchen. Took out all 7 halogen lights and replaced with new, still nothing. Checked the switch and there is 240v going to it (in case it matters it is dimmible). Baffled, any ideas or advice will be appreciated as I'm cooking by candlelight at the moment.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'd imagine one of your kitchen lights failed, tripping the breaker and destroying your dimmer in the process. Replacing the switch would be the first thing to try.

I'd imagine one of your kitchen lights failed, tripping the breaker and destroying your dimmer in the process. Replacing the switch would be the first thing to try.

I'd second that, but tell me why would anyone want a dimmer in the kitchen? In a kitchen you need a good light.
While I'm at it I'll mention that halogen lights should not be dimmed anyway. They work by recombination of evaporated tungsten back to the filament which does not happen when they are dimmed leading to a short life.

Thank you for your advice, I'll try swapping out the switch and let you know. We have recently bought the house but is the first time this problem has happened. The dimmer was already in, I can only imagine it was to create a romantic environment ...mind you, cooking by candlelight & a glass of red wine seems to do the trick!! ☺

Sponsored Links
Checked the switch and there is 240v going to it (in case it matters it is dimmible)
And what valve was on the load side of the switch, the sensible thing would be to check both :idea:
I assume the equipment you are using to test, does display a visible numerical value and has two probes?

Thanks guys, I put on a new switch (non dimmable) and lights are back working - I've now got no excuse for the burnt food!

Thanks for your help :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back