MDF Bathroom...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Howdy gang..

I've built myself a storage system which backs on to the back end of my bath (where your head goes), at the 'foot end' i have a shower.

Said storage system has shelves which run up the 'head end' of the bath, they won't be getting directly wet, but obviously there's vapour in the air.

The structure of the shelving unit is constructed out of regular old softwood timber (varnished) and the shelves themselves are constructed out of mdf (not water resistant... Doh) I'm varnishing the shelves to waterproof them a little...

I plan on tiling the whole unit, shelves, sides, the lot... and I guess my question(s) is(are) this..

a) Can I tile on to varnished mdf? will the adhesive take? and will this waterproof them?

and

b) If I were to clad the whole thing in plasterboard, then skim it, then tile it, would this waterproof it?

To my mind this would work... As long as the MDF is fully covered up then it should be alright? Right?

(I read all the posts on mdf in bathroom and the need for ply/moisture resistant mdf etc after purchasing all of my materials - like an utter clown)

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
stipulating the removal of the "she" dictates...
I made an offer, not a stipulation.

If you want to know my reasons, then just ask. But in making a stupid and unfounded assumption, and a derogatory accusation, you've used up almost all of my goodwill towards you.

stop flirting and answer already if you want to... and if not, then don't... Twas a bleeding joke, quick, get the lawyers involved.

Twas a bleeding joke
Just to be clear then, which was one of these was the joke?

the shelves themselves are constructed out of mdf
I'm varnishing the shelves to waterproof them
As long as the MDF is fully covered up then she should be alright? Right?
Woman hater!
stipulating the removal of the "she" dictates...
Hmm?

quick, get the lawyers involved.
Tell you what, I'll leave you with your sense of humour, and step aside to let the queue of other forum members to help you.

Kudos for your last post though... Genuine belly laugh material... I do realise I've done a wrongun (with regards to the mdf)... Hats off!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back