mdf or solid wood skirtings and arc's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm renewing the arcs and skirts throughout the house and wa wandering what peoples thoughts were on whether to go for the primed mdf versions or solid wood versions? What are the pros and cons of both?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi Alprod

It depends on the finish you want (ie if you want a wooden finish the wooden ones (or the mdf veneered ones) are the ones to go with).

If you just want to paint them white, you can probably get the same look with either but I think the primed mdf would be faster. They might be more stable (ie less warping, expanding/contracting, etc) than the wooden ones too (although others here would be better informed than me on this).

The wooden one would need to have the knots sealed before priming and painting to make sure they dont bleed through later. Also, my local timber merchant used to sell the wooden ones up to about 5-5.5m lengths. Not sure if you can get the mdf skirtings that long.

I've just done my living room and hallway with primed MDF and it was so quick and easy. I got my skirting in 5.4 metre lengths as well.

Personally, if you're painting it, I think you get a nicer finish with the MDF

I agree with Alison, MDF gives a better painted finnish and easily bends in case your walls are uneven.

Sponsored Links
MDF varies greatly depending upon where you by it from and price is not alaways a guide. The best way to judge MDF is by it's weight, the heavier the better. I pesonally prefer to use water reistant MDF which tends to have a green core. This type of MDF machines far better than most standard MDF and tends to take varnish or paint far better. We use the water resistant type to manufacture Rosettes and Architrave and find thet it remains more stable than natural wood, which is prone to twisting and splitting. Although gluing MDF tends to be the most popular method of fixing, it does alo take nailing and screwing far better than natural wood, again because natural wood tends to split far easier. Unless I want the natural timber look, I would use MDF every time.
OLDWONKY

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back