MDF painting cock up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m going a little bit nuts over painted MDF. Had a large built in wardrobe made. Self painted with Leyland MDF primer x 3 coats. Top coated with x 3 leyland acrylic eggshell. Months later there was a smell that wouldn’t go away - either the MDF or the paint, very hard to tell as not everyone could notice it. All coats were given plenty of time to dry. Put it down to bad paint batch...

Thought I could ‘fix’ the problem by using oil eggshell to seal everything in. Two coats on and it looks good but stinks. Chose Little Greene flat oil in a hurry as thought it was all super eco friendly without realising the flat oil was still a bit old school and smelly with a higher VOC count. Anyway been two weeks with window open and the room smells very strong still. Certainly too strong for a kid to sleep in.

Will this smell eventually go? Have I done something wrong? Should I sand down and start over? Only time I noticed a lingering smell this strong was after using floor paint years ago... Any advice gratefully received!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back