Mdf Shelves, need some advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am in the process of making 5 mdf shelve which are U shaped and have 4 rouded edges on the 4 internal corners.
I have done this with a hole saw and a jigsaw and they kinda look ok (only going to be in a cupboard anyway) but i was wondering how to finish these off.
My cutting of the widths wasnt the greatest so they are a little short but i will be attaching some quadrant to the external sides of these to hide my mistakes plus i think that they will look a bit better this way.
My question though is to do with the front edge.
What would be the best way to finish these, the mdf is 12mm, is there a plastic strip this size that you can buy and would it be worth it? The reason i ask is would be pliant enough to go around the rounded edges easily?
Or would be easier just to prime, sand, prime again and then gloss?
Help :)
Lee

Sponsored Links
dependent on load you will need 1 or 2 intermediate supports and or a supported front edge with something like 18x44[2x1" par] timber rebated 12x12mm

how deep are the shelves and likely load

Sponsored Links
Its only for shoes, will be supported with batons at the back and sides so should be ok but i might go for another one, the question was more about the finish of the front of the mdf :)

I would have used 18mm , easier to fix , less support required and generally cheaper than 12mm and then bull-nose the front.

it will sag if unsupported as i said above 2x1 with a rebate you may get away with it thick edge to the face i would still want 1 support along the span this can be a dividing panel under the shelve

Good idea, a vertical divider, nice one.
On painting the mdf on the edge (nasty) side, whats the general opinion?
I have read multiple layers of emulsion (about 3) each one sanded down afterwards but i have also read one layer of pva sanded down afterwards.
Whats the best way?
Lee

I use either mdf primer or emulsion [cheaper if you have some] which seals the mdf ready for whatever you want on top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back