MDF Strips

Sponsored Links
B &Q will cut sheet material, sometimes they can minimise cuts by cutting several at once. I did that with a list that I came up with - the guy cut 3 sheets at the same time and minimised differences.

Things may have changes as last time I went to B&Q they had new rules about certain minimum sizes due to the saw jamming ? best to ask in store

Thanks. They aren't offering this service at the moment unfortunatley.

Sponsored Links
Why not find a proper local timber merchant that cuts and delivers?

I would expect them to be much cheaper than B&Q et al.

do you realize that this is very very expensive way off buying as all they are selling you is a 9mm sheet cut into strips off 74mmx 2440mm for £3.50 a length or £56 for a sheets worth off strips compared to a say £20 9mm full sheet
you still need to buy the plain panels and apply the cut strips into box sections and glue to the surface accurately cutting and fill to hide the joints at the rough cost off £30-40 per 8ft/2440mm ??
you also need to avoid the use off mdf anywhere near water or damp areas

Last edited:
do you realize that this is very very expensive way off buying as all they are selling you is a 9mm sheet cut into strips off 74mmx 2440mm for £3.50 a length or £56 for a sheets worth off strips compared to a say £20 9mm full sheet
you still need to buy the plain panels and apply the cut strips into box sections and glue to the surface accurately cutting and fill to hide the joints at the rough cost off £30-40 per 8ft/2440mm ??
you also need to avoid the use off mdf anywhere near water or damp areas

Thanks. Was just going to try this https://www.style-squeeze.com/blog/2017/11/2/diy-easy-and-cheap-pallened-wall-board-and-batten

Will look at building merchants.

all for using skills and saving money
for example with a circular saw you could cut say 4x74mm strips off a 1220 board gives you a 926mm high board and enough offcut for a 400mm square pattern or if you need a higher board or closer square then a sacrificial board for the extras

Just to be clear- you intend to retain the original wall finish and JUST add the strips to replicate panelling?
So all you need is the strips, adhesive, screws/nails?

Just to be clear- you intend to retain the original wall finish and JUST add the strips to replicate panelling?
So all you need is the strips, adhesive, screws/nails?

hi yes that is correct. Was maybe going to use thin ply sheets to cover the walls if it’s not very smooth. I’m doing it halfway not top to bottom just adding a bit of picture rail to cap

Last edited:
So I can't find anywhere that can do any cutting. I I was to do it myself, what would be your suggestions in terms of tools needed? I've used a jigsaw once and it did not go very well and I am pretty picky so the cuts would need to be extremely clean and straight!

Certainly not a jigsaw.
One way might be to buy them from a tradesman. A mate is a mobile chippy. I am sure that someone like him would be willing to buy mdf, and cut into size for you using a tracksaw. They could maybe cut mdf that you bought, but whatever. If they buy, they could charge for collection, cutting, and delivery, or just for an hour or so cutting on your drive.
There should be plenty of guys looking for a day's work (half a day)

If you cover the walls, use a thin mdf.
The sheets are 4x8 so easy to make 4 foot high panels.

Certainly not a jigsaw.
One way might be to buy them from a tradesman. A mate is a mobile chippy. I am sure that someone like him would be willing to buy mdf, and cut into size for you using a tracksaw. They could maybe cut mdf that you bought, but whatever. If they buy, they could charge for collection, cutting, and delivery, or just for an hour or so cutting on your drive.
There should be plenty of guys looking for a day's work (half a day)

If you cover the walls, use a thin mdf.
The sheets are 4x8 so easy to make 4 foot high panels.

Thanks. So You wouldn't recommend ply to cover the walls? And how would you recommend putting it up was just going to use
Evo-Stik 'Sticks Like Sh*t' Adhesive and nail it on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back