MDF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi again,
gunna paint my new mdf build in cupboard. 2 finished costs of satinwood,question,can i use thinned out undercoat as a primer all oilbased by the way........thanx......

Sponsored Links
Personally i'd say yes. you can use undercoat, prob need two coats maybe three, rub down between coats and two coats of satin wood... no probs.

thanx 4 replying.........suppose the quick drying primer will be quicker lol........just thought oil base stuff would be harder wearing......or is it just me.lol......but thanx again :D

Sponsored Links
Yes you can use oilbased undercoat, I always do when I paint MDF, but thin well with white spirit the first UC, as the MDF sucks the paint, if you do it straight from the can you will be labouring, and will look very thick.

I always thin the first coat of UC, and slightly thin the 2nd, dont forget to gently sand after each coat, as the MDF can fur up a bit.
Then do your 2 coats of satin.

Sometimes I have done 2 UC and 3 satin, or even 3 UC and 2 satin, depending how it looks after each coat.

BTW, after you have finished painting, dont put anything on the shelves for about 7 days, you have to give the paint time to cure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back