Painting MDF doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I am decorating my new house, Converted bungalow, and have came up against a very annoying problem. Upstairs we have have some small doors on the walls for access to storage space in the eves, these doors are made of MDF and have a tapered edge. The previous owner just emulsioned over them with a roller the same colour as the walls. We have redone the maine bedroom upstairs and I wanted to put a satinwood finish on the doors the same colour as the walls.

So I used a combi primer and undercoat (waterbased) as advised by B&Q. I done a few coats and sanded lightly to get a nice smooth finish. The problem is I have now applied to coats of satinwood to the outer side and the finish is awful, almost like in some places the paint is being obsorbed.... I thought the combi primer/undercoat would sort this?

Just as an experiment I have put some oil based undercoat on the back of one of the doors to see how that turned out.... will this give me a better finish topcoat or is MDF just bad to paint? :evil: :evil:

Thanks in advance.

Ian

Sponsored Links
Always best to use oil based undercoat with oil based topcoat - assuming you have oil based satinwood.
The surface was already sealed with emulsion, so I doubt the mdf is absorbing it in patches. It must be down to the primer/undercoat or it may be that you have missed patches with the topcoat or not applied it evenly, which is quite easy when painting white on white.

Thanks mate,

Its not an oil based satinwood, I dont think, its a natural wicker colour. I had to get it mixed in B&Q to match the walls. Can I apply it over the oil based undercoad if I give the under coat a gentle sanding?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back