MDF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need some advice re. sanding MDF. I will be painting some MDF shelves with undercoat and eventually eggshell (oil) and will be giving them a sand down between coats. I'm aware i need to wear a mask, but not sure how to clean up the dust before the following coat.

The first time I sand the shelves will be after applying the first coat so in theory it really be paint dust rather than MDF dust that is in the air, however, given that the edges will swell I'm guessing this is where more of the MDF dust will come from.

I can hoover it up with a dyson and then wipe the shelves down, but when it comes to emptying the dyson that could be tricky. Unless I do it outside into a black bag, with mask on, then wash down all the parts of the dyson, including filters down. Any thoughts?

I know some people special vacuums etc, but this is the only time I will ever need to sand MDF down so can afford to start investing in special equipment. Any advice appreciated!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sensible precautions is all you need to take. If you were working with MDF day in day out then yes it needs serious consideration.

To me, you're over thinking it. The pollution from the near by road is doing you far more harm than a little MDF dust.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back