Measure and Plan substrate relative to tray before tiling.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear People,

I noticed my tiles below the mixer and outlet “pushing”. After removal a leak was repaired. Now I have the lower half of one wall, minus the row of tiles behind the door, that is back to the brick – with a shower tray at the bottom. This question pertains to filling that area in, in the appropriate manner and then re-applying the tiles.

The distance from the wall to the tray is greater at one end than the other.
There are existing tiles still on the wall to be matched up to.
I want to end up with tiles that neatly fit into the available space and are over the tray with a 2mm gap at the bottom for sealing. Obviously this all depends on accurate preparation of the wall beforehand – hence this post!

I do have some thoughts on how to go about it.

Measure the distance between the wall and the desired tile location on the tray edge. Nett off the space consumed by the tiles, the adhesive and the finish coat of plaster, fill the rest in 11mm slices with bonding.

If that makes any sense at all...

How much space should I allow for the tile adhesive?

I think the tiles are about 4mm thick.
I plan to skim it to 3mm
How would I then get the bonding coat to the appropriate depth – I was thinking of hammering masonry nails into the existing brick joints to give me bonding coat depth markers??

Do you get the picture?

I am pretty handy - but my previous skills include tilling and plastering. I am sure that one of you kind chaps has some good advice on how to solve the problem in the right way. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back