Measuring cubic metres for a loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of converting my loft into a bedroom and I was wondering how to measure the cubic metres to see if I am within permitted development. I have looked on the planning portal and their volume calculator implies that the measurements are taken for the width, height and depth (on the outside). The roof though isn't a box or rectangle shape, it has slopes and will be wider at the bottom than the top. How do I take account of these variations? More importantly what would planners or building regs demand?

Sponsored Links
It's not easy to explain - especially without seeing the shape you are talking about. Basically most built shapes can be reduced to squares or triangles. work out the areas and multiply by the lengths of each. Then add them all together.

I have attached a crude drawing. The dimensions are:

width at eaves is 12m
height from eaves to ridge 2.4m
depth is 3.2m

It is essentially the width and shape of the existing hip roof. I think it's more than the PD allowances but multiplying the three figures above doesn't take into account the slopes. A supplementary question is are lofts that are more than PD allowed?

hope this helps.

I have visited the planning portal again and used their calulator for dormers, put my measurements in and the tool returns a figure within the PD allowance. When I simply multiply width by depth by height on a calculator I get a much larger total. Presumably the volume calculator's logic is different to simple maths? As you'll gather maths isn't my strong point.

Sponsored Links
Just out of interest, where in Hampshire are you?

If you were local, I don't mind coming out, quickly measuring up to see if the proposal falls within the requirements of the PD.

And remember not to measure the whole internal roof area - just the area which is being converted ..... so you can deduct the unused space at eaves and if you have any space up under the ridge above a new ceiling

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back