Measuring fall when block paving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I have a basic square drive at the front of my house which is currently slabbed (likely without hardcore base) which I am planning to dig up and replace with block paving.

Been on pavingexpert website and read about what exactly that needs to be done.

my drive needs to be 100mm lower at the end of my drive (Entrance to driveway) than it is at the start (wall of my house).

Guide says to use string line.

1) Nail starting pin at the higher end of drive, by wall wall.

2) Attach stringline to pin

3) Nail pin at the end of drive (lower end) and attach string.

4) Use spirit level to ensure line is straight

5) measure distance from string to ground at the starting pin. E.g 300mm.

6) Then start to dig the lower part of drive so that the distance between the string and ground at the bottom of drive way is 300mm + 100mm drop. So 400mm from stringline.

This is where I get stuck.

So far the string itself is completely level. Do I now move the string line so that the string itself is falling at the required gradient? So it can be used as a guide for when I lay the hardcore/blocks?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
If the top and bottom points are fixed then you don't need a level. I found it easier to fix a lengths of timber (I think I used some old decking boards) along the top and bottom as a guide to slide the string along as I dug. It doesn't matter what height the string is as long as you do your sums right, I presume they say 300mm as it keeps it away from your shovel.

Never used a line (for depth) when digging out before?
I don't even bother, regards depth, when I'm digging foundation trenches or the oversite.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back