Running lines for curved walls / edging

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I’m planning on laying a block paving drive soon, and then a garden wall.

Both require curved walls / edging, but how do you mark out with sting line for the curves.

I’ve done a bit of reading and I’ve seen this example using lots of strings/measurements

9DCB0961-5B73-4151-9D4E-B5B863D89AB9.jpeg

Is that kind of thing the best way or am I missing a trick?

The garden wall will follow the curve of the pavement so I’m not so worried about that one, but the edging kerbs for the driveway are completely new, so I’d like to get the curves right at the same time as getting the fall right for the driveway.

Thanks
Andy

Sponsored Links
I'd just mark out a curve that looks right free hand, rather than some geometrically correct arc.

Sponsored Links
Everything I’ve seen / read so far has the edge kerbs in first…:unsure:
Ideally you set the border to line and level and this acts as a guide for the paving plus it restrains the paving when it's whacked.

However there is nothing to stop you laying the paving and then either keeping it short of the edge, or taking it past the edge and then marking the edge.

The key thing is to allow for the depth the paving will whack down (depending on your bedding method) when laying the edge, and not to whack the paving until the edge is set.

Just found this online. Any thoughts or anyone used?

Just found this online. Any thoughts or anyone used?

Look like expensive fibreglass tent poles, Go outdoors sell sets 4.5m ish for about £6 a set, you could use these, iv'e used plastic trim in the past.

Look like expensive fibreglass tent poles, Go outdoors sell sets 4.5m ish for about £6 a set, you could use these, iv'e used plastic trim in the past.
Good point!

I’ve got a load of spare 5m upvc window trims so I could use them and some duck tape to the same effect :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back