Block paving camber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been a few days since I’ve asked a block paving question so here goes. My driveway is generally sloped in various directions due to house being lower than pavement, and also the street being on a hill. I have one area where it needs to ramp up a bit steeper, towards the edge.

I’m not sure whether to do this as a straight run using a string line, or just freehand more of a “parabolic” (?) dished/curved contour (see pic)

I think the straight would be easier when laying the edge course as I can run it to the line, but the curved is probably better/easier overall to manage when it comes to screeding and laying and compacting?

As ever, really appreciate any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_0687.jpeg
    IMG_0687.jpeg
    201.5 KB · Views: 20
Sponsored Links
Been a few days since I’ve asked a block paving question so here goes. My driveway is generally sloped in various directions due to house being lower than pavement, and also the street being on a hill. I have one area where it needs to ramp up a bit steeper, towards the edge.

I’m not sure whether to do this as a straight run using a string line, or just freehand more of a “parabolic” (?) dished/curved contour (see pic)

I think the straight would be easier when laying the edge course as I can run it to the line, but the curved is probably better/easier overall to manage when it comes to screeding and laying and compacting?

As ever, really appreciate any advice.
When ever I come off the screed rails, I like to get creative with the back side of my brickies trowel and try and sculpt the sand, when dealing with shapes and curves etc. It's better that the paving looks more naturally contoured than contrived and geometric.

Cheers. When you say “come off the screed rails” do you mean when you’re on a bit that you’re not screeding flat against the rails?

Makes sense what you say. I think this is something that becomes a bit clearer when you get stuck in and do it, and isn’t the easiest thing to picture when you haven’t done it before.

I’ll go with the curvey natural parabolic shape rather than a couple of straight planes.

Also, once you’ve done your freestyle brickies trowel thing, do you run the whacker over that part of the sand again? Or do you just get the blocks down and compact them? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Also, once you’ve done your freestyle brickies trowel thing, do you run the whacker over that part of the sand again? Or do you just get the blocks down and compact them? Thanks.
I like to compact the sand a little with the trowel, then tap the blocks with a rubber hammer, when dealing with specific areas. It means they behave a bit better when the compactor comes out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back