Mechanical Boiler Timers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My mechanical boiler timer for combi boiler is losing time (it stops just as the heating is meant to come on).

My question is: although they look identical are these mechanical timers universal? I found the one below on ebay (Grasslin, same make as mine), and was hoping it would be a suitable (more affordable!) replacement.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Most are very similar and most will replace each other. But you cannot assume that will be the case.

I am surprised you did not state your boiler make and model.

But its always better to fit a programmable thermostat and get better control from that.

Tony

They are near enough standard. Sizewise yes they are a standard.

Wiring wise, I've only ever seen 230v go to 1 and 2. the other 2 pins are the switch wires but sometimes theres 3 pins!
This is where you need to look on the little diagram embossed or raised near the terminal connections. #3 is usually a common and the 4 or 5 is the other switch wire. If your last wire doesn't work on #5 it should work on#4

Baxi part number is 247206 I have fitted them to older worcesters and biasi. Heatline ravenheat and Ferolli
Buying it as a spare part costs about £50 and as new if you were getting a new boiler about £20

What I would do now though is link out the stat at the boiler and replace the clock with a Salus RF 500 BC for about £50 which is a wireless programmable roomstat.

I went through this with mine. It was pretty easy to swap the mech timer for a digital one. It just slotted in... but in retrospect I wish I'd done as advised above. Set the time to 'on' permanently and fit a posh thermostat

Sponsored Links
thanks - i think its an Ariston Microgenus (quite old!). I am not very good with electrical stuff, so think replacing the clock is just about my limit.

I need to replace the boiler next year, so I just need a cheap fix to get me through the winter

My option is to go to the local plumber shop - he's charging £70 for the replacement part, or take a chance on one off ebay for £35-45! dilemma!

The beauty of the thermostat option is that it is around the same price (eg the Salus RF 500 BC mentioned above is £35 on ebay), it's better and it should work with a new boiler, too or you can stick it back on ebay for £25

true, but you also need a small degree of wiring skill to install it (which I lack, having looked at the instructions online!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back