Mechanical switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all
I have this mechanical switch in my garage that switches on and off some external lights. I can change the time on it but can’t seem to work out how to change the on and off settings. There’s 2 brass parts which I assumed triggered it but these just seem to hang freely. Any ideas on how to set? I googled mechanical switch and timer but couldn’t find anything similar even in gooogle images. Think I need to switch it out for something newer

Sponsored Links
It says do not loosen the middle screw.

Isn't it a dusk 'til dawn timer which compensates for the changing times throughout the year?
I don't know if you can make minor adjustments.

It looks to be a couple of weeks slow - unless you took the picture a couple of weeks ago.

I can't find it on the net.

Sponsored Links
Aah thanks that explains it. I’ll have to find something to replace it with. Just had my first electric bill in new house and it was a lot higher than expected so was looking to switch the lights off around midnight rather than dusk. It’s about 8 led lights but every penny counts.

I don’t understand how in my old house for same period I was using about 174kwh on day rate and 1100 on evening rate and now using 1400 day rate and 400 night rate? Checked the readings weren’t the wrong way around but apparently not. These lights are the only major difference between houses

Just had my first electric bill in new house and it was a lot higher than expected so was looking to switch the lights off around midnight rather than dusk.
Unless I'm missing something, that doesn't seem to add up :) (dusk is currently about 4;30 pm, I think)

Kind Regards, John

You can move the off screw to the white section at midnight if you want it off at midnight each night, the on time will still track the seasons.

so was looking to switch the lights off around midnight rather than dusk.
The existing timer can do that.

It’s about 8 led lights but every penny counts
The driver looks like a 16 or perhaps 25W model, which if on for 12 hours a day would cost you somewhere between £8 and £12 per year in electricity.
Switching off at midnight instead of dawn might save £5 per year. A new timer will cost far more.

now using 1400 day rate and 400 night rate?
Over what period of time?
Does it have electric storage heaters?

In your picture, behind the current time indicator, there is a white 5 spoke wheel if you tick that round it will move the date for you, each segment on the scale is about 5 days

full

Aah thanks that explains it. I’ll have to find something to replace it with. Just had my first electric bill in new house and it was a lot higher than expected so was looking to switch the lights off around midnight rather than dusk. It’s about 8 led lights but every penny counts.

I don’t understand how in my old house for same period I was using about 174kwh on day rate and 1100 on evening rate and now using 1400 day rate and 400 night rate? Checked the readings weren’t the wrong way around but apparently not. These lights are the only major difference between houses
You can use this switch to do this. VERY VERY carefully grip the brass pin with long nosed pliers and remove the screw from the off position at 06:30 and refit them in the white slot at 00:00.
These are very easy to drop and lose so be VERY careful.

The existing timer can do that.

The driver looks like a 16 or perhaps 25W model, which if on for 12 hours a day would cost you somewhere between £8 and £12 per year in electricity.
Switching off at midnight instead of dawn might save £5 per year. A new timer will cost far more.

Over what period of time?
Does it have electric storage heaters?

I won’t bother if that is correct but it doesn’t make sense to me how the bill has jumped from night rate mainly to day rate? What time does night rate start? The bill was compared like for like period of 90 days. Scottish power weren’t interested.
No storage heaters, have gas central heating. Small Bathroom has electric towel rail and heated floor. Has a built in large corner fridge with air con unit which seems to be making a racket most of the time but apart from that it’s like for like. Oh and an immersion heater which we have timed to come on early morning and again early evening. That’s another thread as to why I need a combo boiler and immersion when in old house I just had a combo. Bigger house but have a noise pump in the airing cupboard.

I can't say about the accuracy of the bill or any change but you are doing several things wrongly.

The cheaper rate is usually from 11pm or midnight for seven hours.
As you have no storage heaters, then dual rate will cost you more. Have it converted to single rate. This may entail the fiiting of a new electric meter so that may answer one question.

If electric, the heated floor will be expensive for very little heating. Switch it off and buy a mat.
Why does the gas boiler not heat the water?

You have cheap rate at night (at the moment) yet you switch the immersion on at the expensive rate times.
Time it to be on during the cheap rate - all seven hours. It will turn off when hot enough.

Particularly given the absence of storage heaters (presumably in both your old and new houses), I think there has to be something very wrong with those figures, particularly those for your old house.

With your new house, to have 22% of electricity usage at 'cheap rate' is very reasonable for a house without storage heaters - I think that between 20% and 30% is typical (below the usual 33%-35% at which dual tariff becomes financially advantageous). However, the apparent 86% at 'cheap rate' in your old house is well above what one would expect even with storage heaters - and, quite frankly, ridiculous in the absence of storage heaters. I realise that you have said you checked, but are you absolutely certain that you have not got those figures the wrong way around?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back