Mega Flo vs Thermal store

Thanks for all the help so far. I know this thread has dragged on a bit but please please continue to contribute.

This morning I did the simple test that Simon recommended. So the dhw pipe that leaves the TS (ie before the blending valve) was too hot to touch initially.

When I turned on one shower it remained quite hot, after about 2 minutes I turned on the sink tap. The same pipe then cooled off rapidly, lets say that in the space of another two minutes it had become just mildly warm.

Come to think about it now the plumber/engineer who came around about a week ago probably did exactly the same thing. He stayed up in the loft and asked me to turn on the outlets in the same way. It was after this that he said the TS was knackered. He of course also confirmed that the boiler was firing up as it should.

So given this information can we agree that the TS is either knackered or was never really fit for the job?

If we can establish this fact then at least I can move on knowing it needs to be replaced and decide what I want to do.

Thank you all so much for your help

Ps; one of the showers I have is this one

http://blog.ukbathrooms.com/daryl-hydra-modern-shower-system/

I was told at the time that it needs high pressure to operate, I now can't seem to find the technical info. Could the high pressure/flow this shower needs be contributing to the problem?

Sponsored Links
This morning I did the simple test that Simon recommended. So the dhw pipe that leaves the TS (ie before the blending valve) was too hot to touch initially.

When I turned on one shower it remained quite hot, after about 2 minutes I turned on the sink tap. The same pipe then cooled off rapidly, lets say that in the space of another two minutes it had become just mildly warm.

Come to think about it now the plumber/engineer who came around about a week ago probably did exactly the same thing. He stayed up in the loft and asked me to turn on the outlets in the same way. It was after this that he said the TS was knackered. He of course also confirmed that the boiler was firing up as it should.

So given this information can we agree that the TS is either knackered or was never really fit for the job?
Did it ever run two outlets at once ?
As has been pointed out, you are in a hard water area, and a layer of scale on the pipe would reduce heat transfer. It may be that with descaling, it would be up to the current task.

However, I doubt that size of store will have the heat transfer area (coil size) needed to support your planned requirements, and so replacement with something else would be logical.
If we can establish this fact then at least I can move on knowing it needs to be replaced and decide what I want to do.
Yes, I think it's safe to say you need to be looking at something else. You're a bit far away, or I'd offer to take it off your hands when it comes out ;)
Ps; one of the showers I have is this one

http://blog.ukbathrooms.com/daryl-hydra-modern-shower-system/

I was told at the time that it needs high pressure to operate, I now can't seem to find the technical info. Could the high pressure/flow this shower needs be contributing to the problem?
Pressure is immaterial, though if it's taking a lot of flow then that would do it.
I found these installation instructions which have a chart of flow vs pressure for the Hydra Modern. Flow rate depends heavily on pressure, and ranges from about 8l/m at 1bar to 20l/m at 4bar :eek: Obviously not all the flow comes from the DHW coil in the store as this will first be blended with cold by the blending valve on teh store, and then further mixes with cold at the shower valve - assuming of course you haven't exceeded the DHW coil capacity and it's outlet has gone cool :rolleyes:
This is of course, exactly the same problem that Combi boilers suffer from.

Thanks Simon, at least we've got somewhere. I appreciate that you told me to test the temp of the pipes much earlier and I didn't listen!

It was not scientific in the sense that I didn't measure the temp but the cooling of was very obvious to my hand.

As for the TS, if you think you might ever be coming down to London when I take it out I can keep it in the garden until you do!

I now need to decide what system to change to and I think that calls for a new thread to prevent confusion. (Would appreciate your help with that one as well Simon)

Thanks to all those who have contributed and I'd appreciate input on the new thread if that's ok?

Sponsored Links
Is there a kn@bhead button I can press?
Feel free to email more abuse you fu cking p rick.(j ANUS)

Must be time to go back to your padded cell,ballbag.
Chaps*, I know you feel strongly about this, but you really do not do yourselves any favours when you resort to personal insults. To most sensible people, once you resort to that level of behaviour then it suggests two things :
1) You know you've lost the argument and abuse is the only tool you have left
2) You represent the worst end of the trades, substituting vulgarity for intelligence

On that last point, as I have mentioned before, the plumbing trade doesn't enjoy the best of reputations - you aren't exactly doing anything to improve it (and nor does most of this thread). Why should anyone respect your opinion on plumbing and heating matters if you cannot remain civilised and present a logical/reasoned rebuttal of claims you disagree with ?

* I assume all men in such a male dominated industry.

You've Not had the abusive email or the threatening phone call from members of this forum. :rolleyes:

IVe nothing to hide, so I'll happily pick my fights in public.

If he wishes to have them removed, sure the mods will oblige.

You've Not had the abusive email or the threatening phone call from members of this forum. :rolleyes:
So lets see your logic ...
Abusive email is bad, abusive public comment acceptable.

Rrrriiight

So let me understand your logic ? threatening phone calls are OK???
(or not ?)

When it gets to that , u begin to realise what a nasty peice of work u are dealing with ! Total disgrace IMO

So let me understand your logic ? threatening phone calls are OK???
(or not ?)

When it gets to that , u begin to realise what a nasty peice of work u are dealing with ! Total disgrace IMO
Where did I say that such actions are acceptable.

What I am suggesting is that if you resort to such actions as the level of abuse in the last few messages then you have lost any moral high ground AND any right to criticise the actions of others. Given that the abuse you claim to have received* was in private, yet your response was public, it certainly makes you look bad.

* Not saying you did or didn't receive that abuse, We just have to take your word for it, and I have no reason to doubt you.

Abuse has been dealt with,I'm happy to remove my comments so the op can get a constructive answer to his problem.

My appolagies for sending the thread a little of track in the mean time.

A threatening telephone call or E mail is beyond verbal abuse ! its a disgrace !

If I implied or suggested that u were condoning such behaviour than that would be wrong & I apologise !!

Way I see it there are far to many persons on this forum that are posting under different ID's , spoof post's or questions in order to start an argument , its got to the stage were they start answering themselves useing several Id's at the same time , bunch of fruit cakes IMO !

A threatening telephone call or E mail is beyond verbal abuse ! its a disgrace !
I agree.
If I implied or suggested that u were condoning such behaviour than that would be wrong & I apologise !!
Accepted, but TBH I don't think you much to apologise for. The written word often lacks the nuances that help with face to face discussions, and the immediacy of feedback that there's been a difference of understanding. And embarrassing as it is to admit, I've been just as guilty in the past :oops:
Way I see it there are far to many persons on this forum that are posting under different ID's , spoof post's or questions in order to start an argument , its got to the stage were they start answering themselves useing several Id's at the same time , bunch of fruit cakes IMO !
It's not the only forum I've seen this happen in. In fact I think most forums/newsgroups/mailing lists I've been in have had some sort of "flare up" from time to time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back