Mega flow and central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we're paying our builders to put in a megaflow as part of a loft conversion (at what we thought was a reasonable price).

They have now said that as part of this they need to re-pressurise the central heating system at a price of £450. Sounds a bit fishy to me. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Re-pressurising a central heating system usually means filling a sealed system with water. This is something you can do yourself.

However, it may be worth clarifying what exactly the work entails - if you have a non sealed system, he may be referring to converting it to a sealed one by removing the F&E tanks and adding pressure vessels. Get some more clarity on what they are charging £450 for.

The key phrase here is "pressurising" or "re-pressurising" and it's why you should be talking to the plumbing and heating contractor and not the builder.

Could be very nasty if the system is converted to a sealed system wrongly.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. Double checking the email from the builder it says pressurise not repressurise. So 450 makes a bit more sense for some actual work rather than just topping up the system with water.
As there's an F&E tank in the loft which presumably can't stay there for the conversion I'm a bit annoyed it wasn't mentioned upfront and included in the original quote.
Any ideas if pressurising the central heating will make the radiators leak? They're fairly old :(

One of mine did after converting. I changed that plus two others of the same age. They were over 50 years old though.

You should consider the Tribune XE as an alternative to the Megaflo, same design but much cheaper;
https://www.kingspanenviro.com/range/tribune-xe-indirect-cylinders

I hope you've a Small Works contract with your 'Builder' & ensure he pays fully qualified Sub-Contractors.

There's an inherent risk 'sealing' your existing central heating system, which should've been made clear to you. Also, it should be confirmed (in writing) that your existing boiler is suitable for a sealed system.

Ensure the 'Builder' is not doing a lot of work him or some cowboy is not qualified to do!! Being a properly qualified, trained & reputable Spark or Plumber/Heating Engineer cost money & have large overheads.
If he's not using qualified Subbies, your in trouble!! Maybe not today or tomorrow, but soon!!

Not sure - was recommended by Dan some time back, and I've always recommended to others as a lower priced alternative to a Megaflo. Was wondering how the Tribune XE compared, as it is lower priced also.

Having had a Megaflo myself and having dealt with their support line, I personally do not think they are worth the premium they charge.

Not sure - was recommended by Dan some time back, and I've always recommended to others as a lower priced alternative to a Megaflo. Was wondering how the Tribune XE compared, as it is lower priced also.

Having had a Megaflo myself and having dealt with their support line, I personally do not think they are worth the premium they charge.

They(Megaflop) had a recall for their Pizz poor immersion heater washers. Along with a few floods!!

Marketing w.nk in abundance!!

Thanks for the replies. Double checking the email from the builder it says pressurise not repressurise. So 450 makes a bit more sense for some actual work rather than just topping up the system with water.
As there's an F&E tank in the loft which presumably can't stay there for the conversion I'm a bit annoyed it wasn't mentioned upfront and included in the original quote.
Any ideas if pressurising the central heating will make the radiators leak? They're fairly old :(
It does and it doesn't... this should have been included as part of the original quote, as any experienced heating engineer would have known that it would need doing. Also, £450 is rather a lot for an hour or two's work.

As for whether weaknesses in your system will be exposed by the higher pressure, there's only one way to find out, and that's to do it

It does and it doesn't... this should have been included as part of the original quote, as any experienced heating engineer would have known that it would need doing. Also, £450 is rather a lot for an hour or two's work.

As for whether weaknesses in your system will be exposed by the higher pressure, there's only one way to find out, and that's to do it
I agree, but it's a brave man that would give an unconditional quote for a conversation of that nature.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back