mega peeling exterior paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello - exterior paint is peeling off in big patches all over the house? The peeling paint seems to have flexibilty in it so I'm guessing it's an acrylic based paint. It is painted over what seems a very stable but smooth/shiny coat which in turn has a primer/undercoat. Could it be that the shiny coat is oilbased and is not allowing the acrylic based coat to bond properly?

Scraping the whole house is a job I could have done without but I can't see how to avoid it. Anyway could someone please help me understand what is happening. I want to do the best job when it comes to repainting as it's already difficult to get a nice finish with painting over brick.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Yep, overcoating water/acrylic based masonary paint over oil based masonary will cause loss of adhesion. Maybe best way to deal with it is to hire an high pressure wash machine to release the flaking/peeling paint !

Thanks Third Eye.

Would you say it's best to remove all the acrylic paint completely, rather than just the loose bits, and then repaint with oil based masonary paint? What prep can I do to ensure that the new coat binds?

gimchee said:
Thanks Third Eye.

Would you say it's best to remove all the acrylic paint completely, rather than just the loose bits, and then repaint with oil based masonary paint? What prep can I do to ensure that the new coat binds?

Like third eye ses a pressure washer will help to get it off. Sounds strange thaat Whole house has a glossy finish :confused: Wonder if someone has put stabiliser on where it wasnt needed??

Think that weathershield all seasons masonry is the answer here as it is solvent based...............
Tho stand to be corrected ...... :LOL: :LOL:

good luck .

Sponsored Links
Eemmmmm ! Difficult to answer your question "gimchee" if i am honest. Personally i would attempt to take off all peeling coating (hard and long job indeed). You may also find when you have pulled some peeling paint off one day but you get up next morning you will notice that when air gets into behind peeling previously edge's that they will be loose in the morning ! This is why i advize to take it off. Also, there is loads of binding paints out there BUT some do fail eventually ! In terms of overpainting once prepared i would use "confidentincompetent" recomendation of paint or use Leyland Pliolite Masonry Paint.

As part of the prep after peeling, would binding paint and the final finishing paints you have recommended be seperate products or are they the same thing?

I still can't understand why the paint is peeling so badly. After taking another look, the original coat doesn't seem that glossy. But the top layer has lifted all over the place. Could the house have been painted in damp or wet weather - would this explain the paint's present poor condition?

Thanks again for the helpful replies.

Tony

If damp then the previous coating would show signs as the top coat. Also, if damp then the evidence would be clear in terms of inside the home. There can loads of reasons why paint peels/flakes. One can be is someone used vinyl silk on outdoors (YES VINYL SILK, COS IVE SEEN PEOPLE DO IT). Also, the problem with binding primers or sealers is some just do not work ! The two paints that have been recomended are known for there adhesion capabilities and are flexible once dried as Pliolite based is owned by NASA as this is the same based product used on the NASA shuttle http://www.leyland-paints.co.uk/productpdfs/l3.3.pdf . The weathershield all seasons masonry is also good for difficult surfaces and conditions http://www.duluxtrade.co.uk/webapp/.../DTBUK/Specifiers/Products/datasheets/420.pdf

Thanks for the help Third Eye and Confident.

Almost finished scraping one side of the house!

Please could you recommend an exterior filler for small holes and quite large gaps under concrete window sills and around lintels.

Tony

I sometimes use Tetion for small cracks, blend it into the surface when it's nearly dry with a damp brush. Large cracks; sometimes sand, cement or try looking at sandtex site
http://www.sandtextrade.co.uk/en/Products/

Think your problem might possibly be that stabiliser was applied to a sound surface. If! as you say the exposed surface is sound. Stabiliser should only be applied to a chalky surface. Some people make the mistake of slapping stabiliser on when its not needed resulting in the problems your getting.
Good luck.

Thanks for that confident.

I popped into B&Q taday and bought a tester pot of the Weathershield. It goes on really nice. I got the Country Lodge colour. The house is white so the darker colour has helped cover the edges of the paint patches which I was unable to remove. But I will give the pressure washer a go to see how much of the stubborn paint it will get off.

How do I protect my attached neighbour's painted wall when jet washing and painting up to his side?

Tony

Difficult one..................I need to think about this one. Get back to you :LOL:

gimchee said:
Thanks for that confident.

I popped into B&Q taday and bought a tester pot of the Weathershield. It goes on really nice. I got the Country Lodge colour. The house is white so the darker colour has helped cover the edges of the paint patches which I was unable to remove. But I will give the pressure washer a go to see how much of the stubborn paint it will get off.

How do I protect my attached neighbour's painted wall when jet washing and painting up to his side?

Tony
Make sure you get the oil based weathershield masonary & not water based. Also, you may find that some adges of "masonry" existing paint will be loose in the next morning as air/wind can lift the edges open. Maybe best thing to do in terms of "not damaging" other persons exterior paint, then maybe you should run a stanley blade down (only slightly) the centre of your homes & try and dry scrape from that edge outwords towards your home of about 30cm, if can be done ! Then if this works then pressure wash away from centre edge towards your home, if u see what i mean.

Yes, Third-Eye - I see what you mean. Thanks for the advice! I didn't check that I got oil-based. Thanks for the hint.

This job is getting me down now...it's turning into a nightmare!!!

Yesterday, I discovered that brick mortar at back of house was rotten and crumbling beneath DPC. Today, I started scraping the front of the house and discovered the same problem around windows and pretty much all over. Think repointing will be required if I carry on at this rate. I feel terrible this this is happening to me while waiting for the new bathroom suite to arrive. I'll think twice before starting new jobs in the future. Didn't realise all the work involved.

Cheers Guys.

PS. Do you think a jet wash will take off all the stubborn bits. Wouldn't I be better off with a sand blaster if I'm going down this road?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back