MegaFlo DD210 Constantly hot (unvented system) help needed!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

New to this forum but just trying to get some advice, mainly as I'm aware how dangerous a non vented Cylinder can be.

I live in a rented flat with just electric and storing heaters. This month we received our electricity bill which was quadruple what it normally is. After seeing the bill I worked out that it was the water heater that was causing it. Basically our water was constantly boiling hot 24/7, you could literally make a cup or tea straight from the tap. I noticed the tank making strange noises and the control unit clock was blank, I found out how to manually reset the control Panel (Horstmann Electric 7) which didn't do anything and the screen stayed blank.

I'm assuming that without a working control unit the water heater doesn't know when to switch off so it's staying on constantly causing the hot water and ridiculous bills, could this be the case?

I thought a thermostat would manually switch off the heat when it got too hot but I assume this isn't the case?

My landlord is sending an electrician around to look at installing a new control unit but I'm just slightly concerned that there is more likely something wrong with the water heater itself?

Is anyone able to advise on this at all?

Thanks

Dan

Sponsored Links
Turn the power off immediately. Do not turn water off. Open hot taps to release water until it cools down. You need this checking by a qualified g3 licensed fitter, an electrician could check it out, the thermal safety trips should have operated so this needs investigating.

Call a gas safe engineer and check his card at the back it says unvented system (G3), sealed system are very dangerous

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back