Megaflo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all

We have just had a new megaflo and boiler installed in the garage of our new house.

We had one in our old house which had a small red tank adjacent which I assumed was some kind of pressure vessel. I’ve looked at various google photos of installations and most seem to have this tank. I know megaflo have an internal expansion contraption so I was wondering what this is for? Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It's an expansion vessel, basically a bag of air, so that when water in the system heats up and expands, it has somewhere to expand into. Air can be compressed, water cannot.

Megaflo cylinders have an air bubble inside which does the same thing. Other makes have an external vessel, which would normally be white.

There will be another one for the heating system, typically red, but it may be integral to the boiler rather than a separate item.

Thanks for the reply. So if I had a non megaflo cylinder and a boiler that didn’t have an integral one I would have 2 expansion vessels?

So by not having any external vessels installed, is this the difference between a heat only boiler vs a system boiler?

Sponsored Links
Have you checked elsewhere, in the loft for example, for an EV? Did you have a conversion from gravity system and tanks removed from loft?

Thanks for the reply. So if I had a non megaflo cylinder and a boiler that didn’t have an integral one I would have 2 expansion vessels?

So by not having any external vessels installed, is this the difference between a heat only boiler vs a system boiler?
Yep, if you'd had a non-Megaflo you'd have two expansion vessels (which are easier to maintain than Megaflo's stupid floating baffle system) and about £250 in your pocket.

A system boiler contains a pump, and sometimes a diverter valve. They're usually fitted to sealed central heating systems. A Heat Only boiler requires an external pump, and can be fitted to open vented systems with an F&E tank in the loft, but can also be fitted to sealed systems.

Sorry, probably coming across very thick here but I have a valiant EcoTec 30 system boiler and a megaflo with an internal contraption. Should I have an expansion vessel?

Sorry, probably coming across very thick here but I have a valiant EcoTec 30 system boiler and a megaflo with an internal contraption. Should I have an expansion vessel?

Do you have a pro or a plus?

The Plus has a built-in filling loop;
The Pro requires an external filling loop.
Both have an internal EV which may need an additional EV depending on the size of the CH system and potential for more expansion than can be handled by the internal one, which is fairly unusual.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back