Megaflow crystal build-up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a CL210HE that is 11 years old. It to experiences a build-up of the blue/white crystals that blocks tap fittings as documented in the attached thread.

I also get the yoghurt smell if we go away and leave water sat in the tank for a night or two.

Baxi are coming tomorrow and I am going to point them in the direction of this thread but I can't but help feel i'll have a battle on my hands. Is there anything I can look at and check when they are here inspecting it which might help my case?

My gut says the inner baffle is damaged or deteriorating – the crystals aren't hard, they forms a paste when you rub them together.

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/megaflo-scale-problems-advice-required-on-descale.515452/page-3

Sponsored Links
If it's scale they it would dissolve in acid so prepare to do a test if they fob you off.
And if it's the baffle it should melt/combust with a flame...

if you've got some crystals already, dry them on a saucer and drip vinegar on them. Do they fizz?

limescale is usually white or brownish, but can get green or blue from copper traces in the water. You probably have something similar round the spouts of your bathtaps.

Dont let them fob you off it is a well known problem to them, and your cylinder should still be under warranty, but if you havent had it serviced every year and the services documented they wont honour anything

Sponsored Links
sorry for the delay on this... so good and bad news! Engineer came out, took one look at the install and didn't fancy the job (it's a little tight). He started leaning towards limescale but as soon as it appeared I had done my homework he backtracked and said "the cylinder is shot and it's laughable that you think this will be done under a service plan". I pointed out I had called technical support but been forced down this route even though I knew the tank was gone.

Anyway he left, and a week later when I had heard nothing I called Megaflow to chase. They agreed to supply a new tank but without a fully completed benchmark book they wouldn't install. I guess i'm lucky to have part of the cost covered, although if it was manufactured correctly in the first place it wouldn't have exhibited this problem. So I have mixed feelings, relief but also a smidgen of disappointment as 11 years ago I believed I was installing the Rolls Royce of hot water systems.

I now have to find someone to install the replacement tank, it's unlikely to be a straight swap but as everything is in the correct place and working it should be a much quicker job.

I'm based near Reading if anyone has any suggestions for a competent installer who will be reasonable?

Thanks in advance

11 years ago I believed I was installing the Rolls Royce of hot water systems.
sadly so many people fell in to the same situation, far too many of these manus giving 25 year warranties and the likes with no intention of ever honouring them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back