Megaflow Earthing?

P

person

What needs to be earthed on this? Been told different things i.e cross bonding not required anymore etc. Theres pipes coming in low with a on/off handle which I am assuming is the incoming water, then a pipe coming out the top which i am assuming is the hot water. 10mm earth just to incoming or too both?

Sponsored Links
If it has an immersion heater, that will need earthing.

The main cold water supply (and gas) should be connected to the main protective bonding within 600mm of it entering the property.

That is all

Earthing and bonding are two different things.

Cheers. It had been earthed previously but the megaflow got moved yesterday and I wasn't sure what needed earthed as I wasn't there when it was moved. It looks like it's just been the main incoming water cold thats been earthed so should be fine to just re-earth that.

There should be a connection within 600mm of the main stop cock for the water service to the property.

That's it.
Many plumbers (in the past) ran long lenghts of cable from the consumer unit/MET to various points in the property (eg bathrooms, hot water tanks etc) but that creates problems.

Read the WIKI about earthing and bonding. Its all explained there.

PS The product is Megaflo

Sponsored Links
what about if the CU isnt rcd protected?
Connections to gas/water/other metallic services where they enter the building is still required so no difference there.

Supplementary bonding would be required in a bathroom, but that just connects extraneous metallic parts and CPCs together, it doesn't go back to the consumer unit.

Other items do not usually require supplementary bonding. In the case of the Megaflow, it would be completely pointless. The incoming and outgoing pipes are already electrically connected, as the cylinder is made of metal. Same applies to boilers, normal hot water cylinders and radiators.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back